Lets play with a southern Hemispere IIPA!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
Thinking this will be a good beer for the spring. Lighter fruity flavors stoked against a heavy grain bill and a stiff ABV. So far I've purchased the grain so we can add to it but I'd rather not mess around too much with cutting it down.

Grain bill is:

10# pils
5.5# Vienna

i've purchased some hops specifically for this but i'm not opposed to switching that around. right now the idea is

1oz NZ Green Bullet @ 60
0.5oz NZ Motueka @ 15
0.5oz Mosaic @ 15
1.0oz NZ Motueka @10
1.0oz Mosaic @ 10
0.5oz NZ Motueka @ 5
0.5oz Mosaic @ 5

straight away i know i need more on the 60minute. i bought this much without planning anything out in software. thinking of upping the 60 minute to 2.5oz. that should make the bittering addition 0.8 BU:GU. from there i'm blasting it with 3oz of late addition hops.

my proposed adjustments are 1# honey malt, 0.5# dextrin to thicken it up, 1# sucrose. mash at 125 > 150 with a single decoction. dry hop in secondary with 1oz Citra, 1oz Mosaic, 1oz NZ Motueka

with proposed adjustments i have:

OG: 1.082
FG: 1.012
IBU: 97.5
SRM: 6 (doesn't account for decoction)
ABV: 9.0

Looks good to me. Drop the NZ hops for some aust varieties in my opinion. :D maybe some Ella or Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed an IPA 3 weeks ago with a hop schedule like this:

1oz Green Bullet (60 mins)
1oz Green Bullet (35 mins)
1oz Galaxy (15 mins)
.5oz Green Bullet (6 mins)
.5oz Galaxy (6 mins)

1oz each Green Bullet/Galaxy dry hop in secondary (been in for a week and coming along nicely.

I think Green Bullet is the best NZ/AUS hop for bittering honestly, every other one I've tried are better solely for flavor/aroma

i've been doing more research on these NZ motueka and i think i might use them in something else or spread 1oz in with some galaxy/mosaic/citra. if the lemon/lime/spice thing comes out then that could be a good way to cut that citra esque tropical fruit thing.

i've never heard of Ella or Summer or seen them for sale anywhere. i like mosaic but want more authenticity to the southern hemisphere idea rather than "tropical fruit = aus". where do i find these hops?

after doing a bit of reading it sounds like summer, galaxy, mosaic could be good. i'm banking on a bit of resin and spice from mosaic.

I brewed an IPA 3 weeks ago with a hop schedule like this:

1oz Green Bullet (60 mins)
1oz Green Bullet (35 mins)
1oz Galaxy (15 mins)
.5oz Green Bullet (6 mins)
.5oz Galaxy (6 mins)

1oz each Green Bullet/Galaxy dry hop in secondary (been in for a week and coming along nicely.

I think Green Bullet is the best NZ/AUS hop for bittering honestly, every other one I've tried are better solely for flavor/aroma
didn't see this prior. maybe some subtle spice from green bullet would break up the one note fruit thing i'm thinking i'll have.

Yeah that's what I was going for, the spice and lime of the Green Bullet to play off the tropical passionfruit and mango of the galaxy, they really balance each other out IMO

Just bottled, I'll let you know how it turns out in 3 weeks!
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=178664&stc=1&d=1392109256

SAM_2350.jpg

Brewday is here! Finalized recipe is

10# pils
5.5# vienna
2# Flaked Oats
8oz dextrose

Mash @ 148 for 60 then ~155 for 15.

2.5oz Green Bullet @ 60
0.5oz Green Bullet @ 20
0.5oz Galaxy @ 15
0.25 Citra @ 15
1.0oz Galaxy @ 10
0.25Citra @ 10
1.5oz Galaxy @ 5
0.25 Citra @ 5
3.0oz Nelson Sauvin @ 0 (whirlpool at 180F)
1.25oz Citra @ 0 (whirlpool at 180F)

Pitching on 3/4 of a WLP009 (Aus Ale) yeast cake from a pale ale i did with MO, Munich 10 and chinook for bitter and 3 oz Nelson Sauvin late.

For those of you into the numbers.

6 Gallon Batch

OG: 1.079
FG: 1.012 (hopefully even lower)
ABV: 8.7
IBU: "95"
SRM: 4.8

I have an oz of mosaic, oz of palisade and an oz of simcoe to spare for this beer as well. If someone has an idea where they could be used that'd be cool. Thinking the Mosaic would work for dry hopping. Maybe along with some more galaxy or citra.

Have this stuff on tap now. Brewed with some minor alterations. I didn't have the 3oz of NS so I had to improvise with 2oz of Motueka and 1oz of Citra. Dry hopped with 1oz Citra and 1oz Palisade. Hit my OG, FG went about 1.012/1.013. Couldn't tell exactly where the hydrometer was.

I racked to a keg and let it sit in the kegerator with the dry hops added to a mulling ball in the keg. After 7 days I kicked up the gas and it's pouring now.

This is my favorite beer creation to date. The only thing I would want is more Galaxy in the kettle. This isn't fully carbed yet so maybe some more bubble will bring out the hops more.

Smells of Pineapple, passionfruit and a hint of honeysuckle. Taste is of a very sweet honey'd bread. Not very grainy. Has lots of tropical notes. Not as bitter as I expected it to be. I tasted a sample when it was going into the keg and I got the bitter beer face. After only two weeks chilled it's pretty mellow and fruity. I'm guessing Green Bullet has a reputation for being smoother in bittering.

The oats definitely sweeten things up but not really in a bad way. There's a nice balance between bitter and sweet. I feel like the oats are just enough to lift the fruity hops. I think a white IPA with a heavy dose of Galaxy would be great.

Have this stuff on tap now. Brewed with some minor alterations. I didn't have the 3oz of NS so I had to improvise with 2oz of Motueka and 1oz of Citra. Dry hopped with 1oz Citra and 1oz Palisade. Hit my OG, FG went about 1.012/1.013. Couldn't tell exactly where the hydrometer was.

I racked to a keg and let it sit in the kegerator with the dry hops added to a mulling ball in the keg. After 7 days I kicked up the gas and it's pouring now.

This is my favorite beer creation to date. The only thing I would want is more Galaxy in the kettle. This isn't fully carbed yet so maybe some more bubble will bring out the hops more.

Smells of Pineapple, passionfruit and a hint of honeysuckle. Taste is of a very sweet honey'd bread. Not very grainy. Has lots of tropical notes. Not as bitter as I expected it to be. I tasted a sample when it was going into the keg and I got the bitter beer face. After only two weeks chilled it's pretty mellow and fruity. I'm guessing Green Bullet has a reputation for being smoother in bittering.

The oats definitely sweeten things up but not really in a bad way. There's a nice balance between bitter and sweet. I feel like the oats are just enough to lift the fruity hops. I think a white IPA with a heavy dose of Galaxy would be great.

Yeah you should have tried GB. Galaxy doesn't play well with everyone, but has a good rapport with GB.

Latest posts

Back