Lessons Learned on First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
I boiled my first wort this weekend and learned a few lessons along the way. If anyone has any comments, please pass them along.

1. My stove top doesn't get that hot and it was difficult bringing 3 to 3 1/2 gallons of water to the correct temperature twice. Once up to around 160 for steeping and then it took forever for it to get to a boil. Next time, I'll try around 2 gallons and use the lid to bring it up to boiling temperature faster.

2. I've got a large plastic organizing bin with a few gallons of sanitizing solution in it for long-term use. I've got all my equipment I'm not using in there and it's easy to carry between the kitchen and the garage. I was trying to sanitize everything one at a time when needed and this was a PITA. I'll probably wash out another bin and use it to hold my bottles, once I empty them.

3. Don't put the plastic lid on the extract when trying to rinse out the extract container and then shake it. I got a beer kit from AHS and it came in a plastic canister with snap on lid. After I got my water to a boil the first time, I dumped in the extract and using a sanitized glass cup I put some of the hot water into the container. Not thinking what steam does under pressure, I snapped the lid on to shake the container up and get all the extract out. Quick lesson in physics later, I learned not to do that and that malt extract makes an efficient hair gel. :)

4. Mark my fermenting bucket in increments of 1 gallon. I think I'm a little short of the full 5 gallons and it caused my OG to be a bit higher than what the package suggested it should be at. 1.057 for a Belgian Wit. When transferring it over to the secondary, I'll use more sanitized water and bring it up to the full 5 gallons.

5. Cooling the wort - My sink isn't very deep or wide and the stock pot didn't fit down in there too well. I think next time I'll chill some sterilized water and add it to the partial wort to bring the temperature down much faster. This sounds like a acceptable and sanitary practice without requiring any more equipment.

6. Plan on everything taking longer than expected. My football watching plans were cancelled since I was messing with my brew all day.

I put the fermenter in the closet around 8 p.m. and this morning around 7 it was bubbling in the airlock pretty steadily so I think I pitched a good batch of yeast, I'll know better in a few days. Also, when making the wort, the house smelled like fresh baked bread. My recipe kit came with some specialty grains that I steeped and it smelled really good.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm listening. Otherwise, happy brewing.

Only one suggestions:

Go buy another batch of ingredients and look forward to your next batch.

You're chronology sounded pretty identical to mine and a lot of other folks during their first extract brew.

Your beer will be great.

Be carefull boiling with the lid on. My first batch was a boilover!

Thanks BierMuncher. But since it will take a few weeks for my beer to be ready to drink and then a minimum amount of time to empty the bottles for the next batch, I'll have some time to better prepare myself and equipment for my next batch.

Neomich said:
.....and then a minimum amount of time to empty the bottles for the next batch......

So hit you're friends up for some empty's. Good friends will give you them rinsed and really good ones will make you give them a few brews for them... I hit one friend and in one go scored 80 bottles from his recycle bin! as well as a few wine bottles for my wine...

Neomich said:
1. My stove top doesn't get that hot and it was difficult bringing 3 to 3 1/2 gallons of water to the correct temperature twice. Once up to around 160 for steeping and then it took forever for it to get to a boil. Next time, I'll try around 2 gallons and use the lid to bring it up to boiling temperature faster.

I just brewed my second batch, so I'm not experienced by any means, but have learned a couple things. My electric stove could not get to temp either on my first batch. I highlyrecommend getting a turkey fryer, if you can brew outside, to use the propane cooker! My first brew took over 6 hours from start to finish with the stove. With the fryer, it took 2 1/2 hours. That included carrying everything up from the basement, brewing and cleaning everything.

On cooling the wort, I do what you described. I chill 3 gallons of spring water. After boiling, I pour 1 to 2 gallons into the wort. This starts the cooling. I save the last gallon to make sure I'm at 5 gallons right before I pitch. I, also, used the kitchen sink for the first batch to cool. It wasn't very efficient. This batch, I bought an aluminum tub from Walmart. Think of something you would give your dog a bath in. This allowed me to use more ice to cool the pot. I would say this latest batch cooled to pitching temps in about 10-15 minutes. Another tip, if you use ice, is to spin the pot in the ice. Not fast enough to splash the wort around, but I feel this cools the wort a little faster. HTH

Mel

Take the lid off once the boil starts.

Start another batch now. It can sit in the fermenter 6 weeks without a problem. Then you can bottle, carb & drink, since it will have aged in bulk.

Go buy another batch of ingredients and look forward to your next batch.

I'll second that. Good beer goes fast. I was so enamored with my first brew that I didn't even think about the second batch until I was halfway through the first. I had to buy some commercial beer before my second was ready to drink. That will never happen again.

Wow, thanks for all the feeback on my first batch. I might check out getting some sort of tub to put the pot in next time. I'll try using less water on my next batch and see if that helps any. I won't boil with the lid on but if it can help get up to temperature, that will save a lot of time off my day. If this still doesn't work, I might consider using a propane burner outside. And my bottle predicament is pretty much up to me, my friends don't drink much beer and if they do, it's that light beer with the twist off tops. I can't use the twist offs can I?

LOL at everyone telling me to start another batch already. I like good beer and I'm really getting into the home brewing hobby but I don't want to become a raging alcoholic, despite what SWMBO predicts will happen. The AA meetings might interfere with my brewing schedule and that is just not acceptable.

Plus, I've been checking out the Apfelwein thread and I'm considering trying that out too. Seems pretty straight forward and I don't even have to use any heat. I think 10 gallons of good brew for myself is a sufficient supply once this is done. But, it is football season and we'll see how fast I run out. The next UFC pay-per-view could have a significant impact on my overall quantity as well so I'll have to think a little harder on when to start my next endeavor.

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions,

Steve

Apfelwein is certainly a simple, tasty recipe to put together so I say go for it. But you should also get your next batch of beer going. I think I had 3 batches going before my first one was drinkable.

Neomich said:
LOL at everyone telling me to start another batch already. I like good beer and I'm really getting into the home brewing hobby but I don't want to become a raging alcoholic, despite what SWMBO predicts will happen. The AA meetings might interfere with my brewing schedule and that is just not acceptable.

Too funny. I'm in the same boat. Started my first batch last night, and now I'm left going...now what?! I want to do another one, but I'll have a hard enough time making my way through 23L! Or else I (or my wife) will worry about my sudden increase in beer swilling.

I was thinking about maybe doing a small-scale batch for #2, like on the order of Basic Brewing's 6-pack IPA. Where's a good place to get gallon glass jugs? Maybe that's a good solution for you, Neomich. You get to play around and try out some new styles without loading up on too much beer.

I don't think anyone should have any trepidations or question their desire to brew more beer. If you keep beer in the pipeline, it will keep you from being impatient and drinking it before its time. The more you can stockpile, the better it will be. I think I read that most ales peak in terms of flavor after 6 mos. I assure you that none of mine have lasted that long. So it's sad to down that last one because it just gets better and better until its gone. Plus, it's not like you're going to drink all of it by yourself. I had a blond that was gone in a flash-had a few myself, gave away a 6 pack as a gift, took the rest to a tailgate-now its history. 5 gallons is really not that much.

I don't know where to get gallon glass jugs, I'm pretty new. I was poking around on Craigslist last night and saw some different size/material containers. Just depends on what area you're in and if people are off-loading some gear.

I've very partial to Hefe's and they sound like they're pretty quick to get to a drinking stage, 4-6 weeks I think. Turn around time on those seems like it fits my drinking ability nicely. I'd love to do some darker ales and what not but I'm taking it slow for now. Since my glass carboy won't be getting used on this first Hefe batch, I'll use it for the Apfelwein. By Thanksgiving and Christmas, it should be superbly aged and ready for consumption. I'll probably be able to do another wheat beer in the mean time, maybe I'll try a honey wheat for something a bit different.

If I go through my first batch sooner than I expect, I don't mind eating, or rather Drinking, my own words!

Just wanted to say thanks to Steve for this thread. I'm about to make my first batch, and hearing about the surprises for a first-time brewer is really helpful. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back