Lengthy fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeastFeast

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
16 days ago, brewed a homebrew shop's local kit. Style described as a "farmhouse ale" (OG 1.052 - FG 1.008). It was a combination of malt extract (LME & DME) and steeped specialty grains (for an hour). Used Wyeast 1056 and created a starter the night before using a oxygen pump on it for 14 hours. OG was in fact 1.052, after 10 days, the gravity reading was 1.012. Now in the 16th day, still looks like there's quite a bit of krausen on top?? This is only my 4th brew but all my others had the krausen drop and the top pretty clear after probably a week, certainly by 10 days? Just wondering if this is anything unusual or if everything looks cool?
Also, to me looks like a strange "fall out" on the bottom of the carboy?

Any comments welcome as I'm trying to understand the whole fermentation process!

Thanks for looking!!

See video...
http://youtu.be/GPMLlMOkXB4

Sometimes the krausen doesn't drop even after fermentation is done. I've had this happen to me with kolsch and German ale yeast. Keep taking gravity readings, and if it holds steady for 3 days at this gravity, it's done. If you cool the fermenter in the fridge a couple of days, the krausen should drop.

You can give your fementor a knock or a gentle shake and the krausen might drop, like Omahawk said sometimes the krausen just doesnt drop or it just gets stuck.

Back