Lemongrass Wheat Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrtoastyman

Reaction score
OK, so I'm going to take a crack at a Lemongrass Wheat Beer. Basically just going to use a NB wheat kit (this one, in particular) and fancy it up a bit. Question is this: at what point should I add the lemongrass, and how should I use it? I was thinking of cutting the stalks into 1-2" pieces and adding them during the boil, as if I was making a soup.

Anyone have a sense of when it ought to be added and how much should be used? Thanks to anyone that has any wisdom here.

I made a wheat beer recently and used lemongrass in the recipe. I used .5 oz and I didn't cut the stalks up at all beyond cutting the tips off. I'm not sure if you'd have to do that even.. they just looked a little grimy to me. After I cut the tips off, I tossed them into a muslin boiling bag and added it to the boil with about 20 minutes left. .5 oz doesn't seem like a lot, but I could definitely taste it in the finished batch. Hope this helps. :mug:

Yep my lemongrass ginger hefe was great. I added 1 oz chopped lemongrass at 15 minutes and dry hopped with another .5 oz after 9 days and let sit for 5 more days. Yum

Austin Homebrew has a lemongrass wheat kit.
I'll have to check how I did it when I get home, but I think it was close to RiverRats' timing.

Thanks much! I had actually thought about adding some ginger to the mix, too -- how did that turn out elsphinc? Would you brew it again?

I make a wheat that has a lot of lemongrass characteristics that all come from using Sorachi Ace hops late in the boil and dry hop. It's one of my staple beers that everyone loves.

Latest posts

Back