Lemonade krausen and Tilt hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruce_the_loon

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Busy with a batch of hard lemonade at the moment, 3 litres of freshly squeezed lemons from the local suppliers with 2kg corn sugar and diluted to 23l in the fermenter. Got Fermaid-K and EC-1118 in there going great guns right now. Not 100% certain of what the ABV will end up as there was sugar in a litre of the lemon juice from a previous batch of non-alcoholic lemonade syrup that I made that ended up fermenting itself.

What I find interesting is the effect of the fermentation on the Tilt hydrometer readings. With the Tilt and beer fermentation, I get a steady drop in readings before the krausen forms, then the krausen gets on top of the Tilt and the readings drop sharply before resuming the steady drop. With the lemonade, the Tilt kicked up 20 points of SG before starting the steady drop. I guess it is the difference in the way the yeast rafts form and alter the buoyancy of the Tilt versus the weighting-down of the top of the Tilt with beer krausen.

The little drop after 12h00 is me shifting the fermenter around.

lemonade_sg.png

Back