Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished 3 weeks fermenting in the low 60s (63-64) OG was 1.046 today its 1.008 temp adjusted out to... Same. 1.008. I can taste a slight lime at the very back end. I did not zest limes though. Well time to keg it.

Does it still taste like a beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes it taste like a beer... But it's very much reminiscent of squirt soda. Except it's dry and not sweet.

It's definetly a female crowd pleaser, but not cloying at the least. I enjoy it. It's very unique. I'll definitely make something like this again. It took longer than 3 weeks for it to show it's true colors. I was a little worried at first. Now that it's done, I'm very happy with it. I had 3 pint last night.

It's very spicy. I get pepper and clove and a definite grapefruit bomb. The grapefruit adds a little bitterness too. It finished clean. Its going to be popular.

I hope the lime turns out. Last sample I tried, the lime started to show up again. Before that is was nothing but clove. It was good just not what I had imagined. I'll see in a few more days.

Mine really hasn't done a whole lot since pouring in the lime-aid. It's bubbling about once every couple seconds. I poured it in about 48 hours ago. Don't want to openly risk an infection by opening it back up. Is this normal?

I ended up with 1.060 OG. Pitched 1L starter. Do I need to prep some more yeast or will it be fine?

Just bottled this today. 1.058 OG 1.006 FG. Didn't zest limes and used safale s-06 fermented for 3 weeks. Very good aroma. Hydro sample seemed a little bitter. Is this normal for the abv. Seems a little high for a lawn mower. Can't wait to drink it.

Just bottled this today. 1.058 OG 1.006 FG. Didn't zest limes and used safale s-06 fermented for 3 weeks. Very good aroma. Hydro sample seemed a little bitter. Is this normal for the abv. Seems a little high for a lawn mower. Can't wait to drink it.

Your a few points higher OG than the OP and a few points lower FG than the OP so your abv is going to be different than the recipe is intended.

You also used a neutral ale yeast [assuming you intended US05] instead of a hefeweizen yeast. All in all, your likely to have a beer different than what it is supposed to be

Mines all kegged and the wife loves it. I'm not crazy on it, it's good but might be more interesting with proper hefe yeast. Have some of the base beer without lime aid bottled to compare, will try this weekend.

I actually used safbrew WB-06. My lhbs was out of the liquid yeast for a wheat beer. They recommended the yeast that I used. Hopefully it'll be good.

I brewed a ginger beer and have been looking for info on adding some lime taste/aroma to it. The base is good, but not my thing so I'm thinking adding some lime to it might make it better. Has anybody used lime juice in place of priming sugar, what I'm thinking is to add the zest to the fermenter for 3 -4 days, then add the lime juice at bottling in place of priming sugar. I'm just not sure how much fermentable sugar is in the juice so it's difficult to judge how much would be needed, I could also add some priming sugar to the lime juice, but as we all know this could lead to bottle bombs since the "juice sugar" amount is unknown.

According to google, a lime has about 1.1 grams of sugar. So you'd need over 100 limes to prime 5 gallons. Of course, once you add 100 limes worth of juice, you would have much more than 5 gallons of beer so you'd have to add even more limes. In addition, you would need to pasteurize the juice to make sure you didn't get any off flavors, and finally, unless you take the gravity of the lime juice, you won't actually know exactly how much sugar there is in it.

So the short answer is: no. Don't use limes as a primer. Use the likes to add flavor, but don't use then as a primer.

I brewed a ginger beer and have been looking for info on adding some lime taste/aroma to it. The base is good, but not my thing so I'm thinking adding some lime to it might make it better. Has anybody used lime juice in place of priming sugar, what I'm thinking is to add the zest to the fermenter for 3 -4 days, then add the lime juice at bottling in place of priming sugar. I'm just not sure how much fermentable sugar is in the juice so it's difficult to judge how much would be needed, I could also add some priming sugar to the lime juice, but as we all know this could lead to bottle bombs since the "juice sugar" amount is unknown.

People use all sorts of stuff for priming ingredients outside of plain sugar. Anything that is fermentable works, obviously. Lime juice (cocktail) would work (obviously not pure lime juice like the dude above is going on about.

I've see people use squirt soda to prime/flavor.

Just be sure to do the math based off the sugar content of the juice. And understand it may not be enough to really bring the flavor out. You can also try to use lime zest and let it sit on the zest like a dry hop.

Or, if you have time, you can make a tincture from lime zest in vodka. I've done it with orange and other spices. It works really great because you have total control of the flavor. The only downfall is it can take months to make. I like to make random tinctures in mason jars just to have on hand. Now I think I'll make a lime one.

After posting on a couple forums, researching and talking to a guy at LHBS, I've decided to "dry hop" with a tea made from the juice and zest of 2 limes. Essentially plan to boil the zest and juice for about 5 min to sterilize (yes I know true sterilization takes longer), then pour this into the fermenter. I'm going to let that go for 3 days and then taste this Sat, and hopefully bottle, if it tastes like I want. Otherwise I'll let it sit and try to come up with something else to do with it.

Don't use limes, but you can use a lime flavored syrup (just not sugar free).....I use syrups sometimes when I bottle unique beers.

I already added the lime zest and juice, so we'll have to see what that brings. Do you have a specific brand of lime syrup that you use, I may have to browse the grocery store for this one. If the lime flavor doesn't come through like I'm hoping then I may go this route. At this point I'm looking at the ginger beer becoming a "spicier" version of Bud Light Lime or something of that nature. It's more about making in good and drinkable, not necessarily something I would make again unless I end up liking it more than I think I will.

It's funny i'm at this point because as I was planning my brews for the year this Hefe was on the list and for no reason at all I decided I didn't want a lime beer. Now i'm coming full circle and trying to make something into a lime beer. As they say go with your gut feeling.

I purchase Torini Syrups, you can buy them from a website called the lollipop store.
In regards to ginger or lime flavorings, most people have become used to sugar boosted flavors that we put in various kinds of drinks....so the only way to get close to that flavor profile is to use a syrup or a limeade (like I did in this recipe). If you follow this recipe to the letter, you would be shocked at the lemon lime flavor this beer has.

Pretty sure this'll be my next brew, super excited because this sounds like the perfect summertime drink.

Quick question though, how big of a starter did you use? I'm still trying to understand how to use pitch rates to change the end flavor.

Pretty sure this'll be my next brew, super excited because this sounds like the perfect summertime drink.

Quick question though, how big of a starter did you use? I'm still trying to understand how to use pitch rates to change the end flavor.

I use the Mr Malty app or website. And I used a 1 L starter. So far so good, mine is currently bubbling away, added the limeade yesterday.

Kegged today at 1.012. Perfectly hazy for the style and smells like a hef. I didn't detect any lime flavor or aroma but I followed the recipe so we'll see how it matures in two weeks when it's done carbing.

I tossed it in the kegerator today so I'll start the gas tomorrow for 10-14 days to carb it up.

Do you guys always use a starter for this? Or could I just toss the contents of the vial in?

I've never used this type of yeast before...

You can find free yeast calculators online that will tell you what you need in cells for your beer

Ok thanks for the replies!

I do have two fresh vials and no time to make a starter, so that's what I'll do!

Was planning to make two batches (two separate weekends) that's why I have two vials already.

I've always wanted to harvest my yeast so it looks like I'll get my chance!

I'm so excited to brew this!!!

Brewing this tomorrow; I am super pumped!

Quick question: was wondering about using the remaining 0.5 oz of Motoueka and Sorachi at flame out or as a dry hop for some extra aroma. Anyone have any experience with this? Not sure when I would be able to use the leftovers, so I am curious if I can incorporate them somehow...

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I would freeze your hops and use them for another batch...that amount will drastically alter the taste of the beer.

Ok, one last noob question...the starter I made has a large krausen on it; should I swirl the jar to mix everything together before pitching? This is my first starter!

If you have time to cold crash it, then decant most of the liquid, that's what many would advise. If you don't have time swirl it and dump it all in, the extra liquid isn't going to change the end result.

Thanks Bolus - brothers are coming over at noon to get started. 5 hours enough time? I made the starter yesterday at 2:00 PM.

I threw the lime zest from 6 limes into the boil with 5 min left. I then tried to drain this through my plate chiller. It seems that most of the zest got filtered out in the plate chiller. Should I try and zest some more limes and throw them in the carboy?

Dont want to miss out on the lime flavor/smell.

Thanks!

Would anyone be able to help me calculate for a 3 gal batch?
Thanks much :)

Would anyone be able to help me calculate for a 3 gal batch?
Thanks much :)

Am I incorrect in thinking its 1/2 the amount of everything?

Yea, OP is for a 6gal bath so just cut everything in half.

All Grain
3.125lb Pale Malt
2lb White Wheat Malt
.5lb Vienna
1/8oz Motueka 60min
1/8oz Sorachi 20min
1/8oz Motueka 20min
1/8oz Sorachi 7min
.5oz Lime Zest 5 min

WLP380
After vigorous fermentation, add .875L Simply Limeade(I believe that's half a bottle, but given the shape of the bottle you may want to measure)

Extract
3.875lbs Wheat LME
5.35oz Pale LME
Follow the rest of the all grain recipe

That helps greatly! I was thinking it was a 5g batch so I would have been off.
Thank you do much!

Back