Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discokid2k

Reaction score
Anybody out there know the preferred temperature range for a copy of Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat? I tried email the brewery but they never replied. I am pretty sure it is a lager yeast so 50*-54* may suffice but I would be interested in any opinions? Any recipe ideas using this yeast strain? Anyone out there copied this strain? Thanks in advance:mug:

Leine's beers are all lagers, even their "nut brown ale".

Dick Leinenkugel told me that, for what it's worth.

The blueberry flavors come from blueberry flavoring.

I don't care for the beer at all, but I have a friend who does. I always joke that I"m going to mash Fruity Pebbles and make this beer for him, as that is exactly what it tastes like to me.

To clone this beer, I'd say to make a pretty neutral wheat beer and then add blueberry flavoring to taste at bottling.

Yooper said:

I don't care for the beer at all, but I have a friend who does. I always joke that I"m going to mash Fruity Pebbles and make this beer for him, as that is exactly what it tastes like to me.

To clone this beer, I'd say to make a pretty neutral wheat beer and then add blueberry flavoring to taste at bottling.

This might be the first time I accurately discerned a flavor from a commercial beer...

I guess I should clarify a few things:

I copied the yeast already. I don't want to make a beer similar to Leinenkugels. As Yooper stated, I'm not big on the beer either. I was given a sampler pack, saw that there was sediment in the Sunset Wheat bottles and made numerous starters to get myself a surplus. So I have this yeast but I am not sure what the specs are on it. I believe Yooper is also right about it being a lager and since I find myself tired of ales I am trying out different lagers.... but I guess we will have to brew to find out. I was just trying to get as much free yeast stocked up for the winter, you know, in case of armageddon2012:D

According to this site, it is a Belgian Witbier. So for Wyeast, I would go with 3944.

I looked at the article but it says it is a belgian witbeir combined with a lager yeast. So I guess that is 1/2 of my answer. Im not big on the fruit beers or the super fruity overtones in others. Some are appropriate but most are just too much for me.

Yup. Fruity pebbles

Back