Legality of homebrewing in Kentucky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osborne

Reaction score
I would be strictly giving the beer away to family & friends for nothing at all in return. But it seems in Kentucky you can't?

"However, that is as far as Kentucky ABC allows for homebrew to be sampled outside of the home. According to the ABC, “gifting” of homebrew, i.e. sharing homebrew outside of the home is not legal, as they do not consider that to be personal or family use of homebrew."

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/homebrewing-is-legal-in-kentucky/

Sounds like you have to invite family and friends over to share your brew legally. Otherwise - be discreet! Obey posted speed limits, use your turn signal, keep your insurance up to date. I am not a lawyer, and am not advocating any illegal activity.

Cheers!

Sounds like you have to invite family and friends over to share your brew legally. Otherwise - be discreet! Obey posted speed limits, use your turn signal, keep your insurance up to date. I am not a lawyer, and am not advocating any illegal activity.

Cheers!

I may just have to invite them over, shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the advice. :mug:

I spend my summers out of state for a couple months? So what if I wanted to bring the homebrew with me to Florida, for personal/family use.

Ugh why can't there just be set statues for things like this?

I bring homebrew down with me to fl every year. I've never thought about it being illegal... How are they going to prove it wasn't brewed in the state? Unless you're caught with it in route going through another state? Seems silly to me that they'd waste their time with this but it's not surprising that time is indeed wasted on it... like a lot of other things heh.... def not condoning illegal activities but I'm just going to pretend I didn't see this thread :fro:

This was the cost of repealing prohibition, federal government relinquished most of its control to States (some state relinquished additional control to counties and cities). This was the lesser evel agreed to inorder pass the 21st admendment and to repeal the 18th.
States and counties can be worked with to make additional changes, not nearly as slow as federal changes. Join AHA and they support changes at local levels

As long as you are not making a big flashy deal about it you should be fine. They are looking more for people manufacturing and selling large quantities. But again. I do not condone illegal activities. I am stationed in Kentucky myself

Wow, am I the only one around here that condones illegal activity? I say brew it, drink it and pass it around freely. If the KY cops give you trouble you tell them I said it was OK. I may be out of the country that week though so tell them to leave a message. ;)

I would also add (in my totally non-lawyery opinion) that I find it extremely unlikely that ABC is going to enforce this in 99% of cases.

If you show up at a bar with 10 gallons of homebrew and start handing it out...maybe. But, I don't see you taking a fall for bringing a sixer to your buddy's house on Friday night.

Don't a lot of places have exemptions if you're entering the beer for judging or competition? I make sure that whenever I share my beer, that it is thoroughly judged. I have a number of 1st place prizes among my friends and family.

Latest posts

Back