Leftover Hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenny_d

Reaction score
I plan on brewing an IPA tomorrow with all my leftover hops and spare grain. Can anyone throw together a recipe with the below ingredients? I'm willing to buy additional hops for dry hopping!

I really want this batch to be 8.6 with about 8 gallons final. Just want some advice for hop additions. I think I'll mash at 152. I like it to have a little residual sweetness.

Recipe specifics:
Batch size: 8.6 gal
Boil volume: 13.0 gal
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.017
Bitterness (IBU): ???
Color (SRM): 8.4
ABV: 6.7%

Grain/Sugars:
20.00 lb Two-row (US), 88.9%
1.50 lb Crystal 20L, 6.7%
0.50 lb Crystal 80L, 2.2%
0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (Belgian), 2.2%, boil for 5 min

Hops:
4.00 oz Chinook (AA 11.5%, Pellet)
0.50 oz Magnum (AA 12.0%, Pellet)
0.75 oz Cascade (AA 6.6%, Pellet)
0.80 oz Kent Golding (AA 7.2%, Pellet)
0.65 oz Sorachi Ace (AA 11.9%, Pellet)

I plan on brewing an IPA tomorrow with all my leftover hops and spare grain. Can anyone throw together a recipe with the below ingredients? I'm willing to buy additional hops for dry hopping!

I really want this batch to be 8.6 with about 8 gallons final. Just want some advice for hop additions. I think I'll mash at 152. I like it to have a little residual sweetness.

Recipe specifics:

Batch size: 8.6 gal

Boil volume: 13.0 gal

OG: 1.068

FG: 1.017

Bitterness (IBU): ???

Color (SRM): 8.4

ABV: 6.7%

Grain/Sugars:

20.00 lb Two-row (US), 88.9%

1.50 lb Crystal 20L, 6.7%

0.50 lb Crystal 80L, 2.2%

0.50 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (Belgian), 2.2%, boil for 5 min

Hops:

4.00 oz Chinook (AA 11.5%, Pellet)

0.50 oz Magnum (AA 12.0%, Pellet)

0.75 oz Cascade (AA 6.6%, Pellet)

0.80 oz Kent Golding (AA 7.2%, Pellet)

0.65 oz Sorachi Ace (AA 11.9%, Pellet)

I would do the Magnum and an oz of Chinook at 60, an oz of Chinook at 20, and an oz of Chinook and the Goldings at 5. Dry hop with the last oz of Chinook and the Cascade, and maybe the Sorachi Ace (or maybe just skip that weird pickle flavored stuff!). That will get you 60-ish IBUs.

You might be better off buying a couple more oz of some kind of C hops to give yourself more flavor and aroma additions though -- that's not a lot of hops for 8 gal of IPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What if I bumped it down to 5 gallons?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Sure, that would help... Just move hops a bit later in the boil. Maybe a hopstand or flameout addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You have probably done it now, but I would use the Magnum at 60 and add Chinook as required to get the IBUs needed. Then mix the Chinook with the rest, and split into 4, and add at 10, 5, 0 and dry.

use enough 2 row to achieve 1.075 OG
0.25-0.5# crystal 20 (i would use 0.25)

definitely consider hopstanding. I am currently brewing a beer that i added 37.4 IBU of citra @ 60 minutes and when the boil is over I will cool to ~190* and add 3.2 oz citra (13.7%) and hop stand for 60 minutes before chilling to pitching temp.

try adding enough chinook to achieve your desired IBU and then add all of your remaining hops (or some combination of your choosing) at knockout or at slightly sub boiling temps and let stand for 30+ mins. hopstanding combined with dry hopping creates a really refreshing hop aroma that doesn't overwhelm. I have been trying this method with SMaSH beers and have been impressed with the results.

experiment, be creative.

edit: on second thought, i suggest adding a combination of the hops that you don't have a whole lot of to your desired IBU @ 60 minutes and then adding all 4oz of chinook at knockout or slightly sub boiling temp. I prefer to single hop for aroma

Latest posts

Back