Leaving a Belgian on yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp137

Reaction score
I just finished a BDSA the OG was 1.090 and FG is 1.012 using wlp 530 I started at 65 degrees and ramped temp to 80 over 8 days. Right now it has been 10 days the beer is still at 80 in my chamber. I plan on leaving it on the yeast for 3 weeks total just to make sure its done and cleaned up. Should I leave it at 80 or should I start to slowly cool it down? Is there any risk of autolysis at 80 or is the high temp better to make sure it finishes?

If it is at final gravity the temperature doesn't matter too much. You are letting more yeast settle out and the beer to start maturing. I'd let come to room temp and leave it for 4 weeks.

I hate to be opposing the others, but what's the advantage to having the yeast on the trub at 80 degrees for three weeks? Any "clean up" happens in about 24 hours after FG is reached, and the flavor of warm and lengthy yeast contact is not favorable to me so I'd either keep it cooler, or get it off the trub to clear and age a little.

I hate to be opposing the others, but what's the advantage to having the yeast on the trub at 80 degrees for three weeks? Any "clean up" happens in about 24 hours after FG is reached, and the flavor of warm and lengthy yeast contact is not favorable to me so I'd either keep it cooler, or get it off the trub to clear and age a little.

So make sure FG is reached maybe take another sample in a day or two then start to chill to drop they yeast out?

Latest posts

Back