Leave it be, or add DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunshowgreg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've come back to cry cause I'm trouble and need some help.

I brewed this beer today and my OG is 1.043. Target is 1.059. Recipe was from white labs website. I'm really debating on just leaving it alone. Should I add dme or leave it? I think part of my problem today was sparging too fast. Opened my nylon valve all the way. Usually just open in a bit and let it flow nice and slow

Blonde Ale

Yeast(s) Used:

WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend

WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast

Recipe Supplied by:

White Labs Brewing Co.

About this Recipe:

The American blonde ale is quickly becoming a revitalized style and is currently one of the most popular styles in taprooms across the U.S. This beer emphasis low bitterness, medium hop flavor and aroma while retaining great drinkability. White Labs Brewing used two strains for this beer, both WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast and WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend. WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast produced mild fruity esters which lend backbone to the tangerine aroma of Mandria Bavaria. WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend takes this ale and makes a crisp lager-like beer. Whatever you choose, this beer will hit the spot as a hot weather lawnmower beer.

Blonde Ale
Yeast: WLP041 Pacific Ale Yeast or WLP080 Cream Ale Yeast Blend
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.008
Estimated ABV: 4.7%
IBUs: 16
Grain (single infusion mash at 147°F):
52.8% Pale Malt - 2 Row (5lbs 9oz)
22.4% Flaked Corn (2lbs 5.7oz)
8.3% Caramel Pils - 2.5 SRM (14oz)
8.3% Wheat Malt (14oz)
8.3% Vienna Malt (14oz)
Hops:
1.3oz Mandria Bavaria
[15 minute addition]
2oz Mandria Bavaria
[steep/whirlpool]

I'd add DME, even if you started fermentation etc you can still add the DME. It would probably be fine of you didn't but if you were planning this with the higher OG I would just add the extra DME and get close to the abv you were looking for

Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.008
Estimated ABV: 4.7%
[steep/whirlpool]

These numbers don't make sense to me. 59 to 8 would get you about 6%.

Grain (single infusion mash at 147°F):
52.8% Pale Malt - 2 Row (5lbs 9oz)
22.4% Flaked Corn (2lbs 5.7oz)
8.3% Caramel Pils - 2.5 SRM (14oz)
8.3% Wheat Malt (14oz)
8.3% Vienna Malt (14oz)
[steep/whirlpool]

What amount of grains did you use, and for what volume?

Adding DME will not hurt anything.

These numbers don't make sense to me. 59 to 8 would get you about 6%.

What amount of grains did you use, and for what volume?

Adding DME will not hurt anything.
I assumed it was for a five gallon batch. My fermenter is sitting at 5.5 gallons now. I did top it off because I had less than that after siphoning over from kettle to carboy. Should it have been for a smaller volume? Also the grains i used sed are as advertised.

I'd add DME, even if you started fermentation etc you can still add the DME. It would probably be fine of you didn't but if you were planning this with the higher OG I would just add the extra DME and get close to the abv you were looking for
The higher ABV wasnt too much of a concern. As was the off flavors. My hydrometer is showing a potential alcohol content of about 5%even where it is sitting right now.

6% is not "lawnmower beer". COnsider that most classic pilsners are at 4.8-5%, so it'll be perfect at 5%.
I was pretty much feeling the same way. At 6% I'd be wanting a nap while I cut my grass. Was really wanting something that went down smooth on a hot day. Getting ready for the Warner weather coming up here in SW Louisiana. I wish it stay colder longer. Trying to enjoy it while I can and experiment with future beers

Latest posts

Back