Leasing CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadWolfOregon

Reaction score
Does anyone here lease their CO2 tank? I'm trying to get my kegging set up together as cheap as possible in the short, so was contemplating this as an option. My schedule hasn't allowed me to call any shops, though.

Any ideas on a ballpark lease price, specifically in the Pacific Northwest?

I read, in the last couple days or so, a post where (IIRC) the poster noted a charge of 10 cents a day to lease a tank. I can't seem to locate it to reference the link.

Don't know how much CO2 you'll need, but think twice about leasing if you can at all afford to buy even a used tank.

Here's someone on HBT that sells used tanks:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=574453

I've bought a couple 5# tanks from Beverage Elements, with shipping they are, I thought, reasonable. They also sell a 7# tank which with shipping would be about $50 or even less.

I know when money's tight, it's tight, but in the long run, you'll wish you'd own it, not lease it.

My CO2 supplier owns the tanks, and collects a one time $100 deposit on them. That was sticker shock, but it was only once, and I never have to buy a new tank or get one certified. I think they accept tanks to fill, but not while you wait. When I started kegging, I used picnic taps coiled in the fridge. I hope you find a good solution.

Yeah. I can buy a 5lb tank in Amazon for $62, but almost everything local is exchange, so my shiny new is gone immediately. I have a 20lb tank that I wish I could use, but it's stamped Coke and no one will touch it. A 20lb tank would last me a year, but is way to spendy to buy.

When I started kegging I looked into leasing VS buying VS exchange. It depends on your local supplier. My nearest bev grade co2 source is Roberts Oxygen. They only lease tanks 20# and up. Anything smaller you "buy" a tank for $50 and exchange empty for full. They told me that some of the tanks in the system were made in the 50's. Avery few years they pressure test, inspect and recertify. If you can, get an empty tank off craig's list or used. Don't go spending your money on a shiny new stainless tank unless your local supplier will refill while you wait. You're only going to get a rusty piece of crap back anyway.

Where I get my co2, you take in your empty tank and they give you a filled one. You have to have one to bring in the first time. Or buy one there. $$$ - Some are ugly but it sits behind the kegs so I don't see the tank except for when I am changing the tank or kegs.

I guess I'm lucky, I have a welding shop with on-site filling so I bought my own tank (new). Sure, that means keeping up on hydro, but at least its my tank and i know the history behind it...if it matters lol.

I would not lease, better to buy a used tank and swap/have it filled.

Back