Learning how to sanke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugenio

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So this happened not 5 minutes ago...

A good friend of mine started a brewery, and now that he is switching to branded kegs, he gifted me a couple sixers so I can start kegging. Just so happens one of them had about a gallon left. Not knowing what it was, I decided to depressurize it and clean the kegs. Alas, in my kegging newbiness, I didn't realize the coupler was actually actuated. Result? 1 Gallon of the finest saison came shooting straight to my face.

Good thing I was outside, had a good laugh about it.

Been there. I had a brewer at a nearby brewery gift me a couple kegs that were branded with the name of the brewery from which they bought their equipment.

Some friends and I were brewing and decided to clean the kegs. Same thing, one had some liquid in it and I had my face over the top of it when depressing the valve...nice stale beer shower.

On the bright side the beer we brewed that day was excellent and I learned something.

You can pull apart an old sanke tap to use for cleaning, carbing and filling the kegs. You want to remove the check valves to allow for a good flow. Sabco has a keg washer and keg tools to pull them apart if you don't want to diy it. Blichmann just came out with a sanke kit for their quick carb as well. So it's pretty easy to get it done on a homebrew scale these days. Cheers

Latest posts

Back