Learned lesson when moving and transporting kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
So I recently had to move from Little Rock, AR to Grand Forks, ND and in the process of packing up all my brewing equipment I decided in my infinite wisdom that it would be smart to keep my kegs filled with sanitizer (I get paid by weight from the Air Force for moving so helps with that) as that is how I store them. Well I didnt think of one thing. They were gonna sit in storage for awhile up here at grand forks while I was in training.

So if you arent familiar with grand forks, it is the frozen tundra and the high when I arrived was -9F, so as you can guess the kegs where frozen and the ice had expanded enough to split one of the kegs, now I dont trust any of the others to not have cracked somewhere and not hold pressure, so I now have to buy new kegs :(

Looking on the positive, I went with pin locks when i built my system and have regretted that decision, so I now can switch to ball locks for a reason instead of just because. Also I can upgrade my kegerator which was thrown together when I first started and is kinda crappy. So with my pay for my move from the Air force im getting some new equipment.

Arkansas to North Dakota? Yeah.....that'll happen. Suxs, but at least you've got the right attitude to look at the silver lining.

Back