leaking quick disconnect, ball lock keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I'm new to kegging so I am confused, annoyed and aggravated. I had a temporary picnic tap set up on a *brand new keg*, came home from work and there were 2 pints spilled on the keezer floor..I swap it out thinking I had a faulty QD. The new one flows pretty well (too long of line, easy fix..I'm happy). I come back an hour later to take a picture for a buddy of mine and its leaking in the same spot as it was on what I thought was a bad QD.

All keg posts are lubed (and brand new so I'm *assuming* gaskets are good..?)

It does not leak a drop when there isn't a QD on there so it isn't a poppet/gasket/improperly tightened.

The leak is not from where the barbed post is inserted into the tubing so I do not suspect the screw-type hose clamps vs. cinch clamps being the issue.

What are the odds I have 2 cheap/faulty QDs? Am I doing something wrong or just overlooking something stupid?

Pictures attached are a picture of the innards and a close up of the leak coming from the QD.
thanks for any and all suggestions, tips, advice, solutions. This project has been delayed for 7 months and I just want my new toy to work! Thanks again and sorry for the rambling. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20180712_223356.jpg
    20180712_223356.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 238
  • 20180712_223322.jpg
    20180712_223322.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 237
If it only leaks with a QD on the Out post you're either the unluckiest person in history with two bad QDs or there's one bad O-ring on that post.
Remove the connector and take a really close look at the post O-ring. Run a fingertip around it...

Cheers!

Did you disassemble the QDs and clean them before you used them? And if so, did you reassemble them properly, i.e, the little poppet valve with the rubber o-ring down, then the spring, then the flat/square o-ring, then the insert/cap?

When I first started kegging I screwed up the reassembly of the QDs a couple times. Easy to lose that flat/square o-ring.

Another thing to consider--related to DayTripper's o-ring comment above--is whether you used keg lube on the o-rings. Keg lube will allow the o-rings and such to slide into place where they're supposed to be. I can imagine a dry QD with a dry o-ring perhaps tearing it.

OP,

It’s hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the connector is leaking from the top closure. It might be that the square-shouldered o-ring mentioned by mongoose33 is missing. Or it might be a simple as the closure not being screwed down tight enough. See the pic below: o-ring is the bottom circled thing and the closure is the top.
IMG_5089.jpg

Oh - and the poppet (SH-815) is upside down.

In relation to the above post, if the top of the QD, (SH-819), is screwed down too tightly, it will smoosh the flat gasket, (SH-817), and you will leak from the top of the QD. The screw piece, (SH-819), should be pretty much level with the top edge of the main body of the QD.

And to further reinforce this fact, in case you missed it at the bottom of the above post, the poppet in the picture is upside down.

Back