leak in auto-siphon seal...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaysurfer

Former future HOF Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I just racked a Vienna Lager, and used a brand new auto siphon to do so. I didn't notice until 2/3 of the way through that the seal in the auto siphon was leaking slightly and there were tiny air bubbles flowing through the siphon tubing into the beer. Since I was 2/3 done, I let it finish. Edit. I'm certain it was the seal that was leaking because if I put my ear right up to the open end of the auto siphon (the top) I could hear it happening.

What I did next is what I want feedback on....do you think it worked?

I hooked up a ball lock "out" (black one) fitting to my c02 tank, and ran c02 into the beer through the dip tube. My rationale was that the c02 bubbles would help scrub the 02 out of the beer. I basically gassed/vented/gassed/vented in succession for several minutes.

Can c02 "scrub" 02 out of the beer this way? Seems like I might've read that somewhere, but can't remember if it was a reliable source. Any other ideas I should try?

The beer is in the keg at this point, so my options are very limited. The beer tasted pretty good and it hasn't even lagered yet, so I'm optimistic, but hoping I didn't just kill it with 02 from the auto siphon.

Also...anyone else buy a brand new auto siphon that leaked from the seal? Annoying!

A couple things: since you are kegging the CO2 should force out all or most of the O2 you introduced with the siphon. My auto siphon does the same thing sometimes. I put a hose clamp over the hose to ensure a better seal at that point. You can also pour a little bit of sanitized water between the inner and outer parts of the siphon. This usually helps with air leaks there.

It's not a good idea to hook up the gas out to the dip tube because you can inadvertently suck beer into your regulator and CO2 tank that way.

A couple things: since you are kegging the CO2 should force out all or most of the O2 you introduced with the siphon. My auto siphon does the same thing sometimes. I put a hose clamp over the hose to ensure a better seal at that point. You can also pour a little bit of sanitized water between the inner and outer parts of the siphon. This usually helps with air leaks there.

It's not a good idea to hook up the gas out to the dip tube because you can inadvertently suck beer into your regulator and CO2 tank that way.

It was leaking from the seal (between the wand and the cylinder if that makes sense) not the actual tubing connection.

I didn't know that about the danger of backflow into the regulator, I think it didn't happen so far, but thanks for the heads up.

It was leaking from the seal (between the wand and the cylinder if that makes sense) not the actual tubing connection.

I had one that did that. I just put a little wort above the seal. Problem solved.

Yea just put some sanitized water in the cylinder once you have a siphon going, it will keep it sealed.

Thanks guys,

Won't this suck sanitizer in through the leak though (which I don't sweat so long as it's a small amount)? Should I just keep a small glass of it next to the fermenter when racking?

It's kind of annoying....since it's brand new and all...but...se la vie!

Won't this suck sanitizer in through the leak though (which I don't sweat so long as it's a small amount)? Should I just keep a small glass of it next to the fermenter when racking?

Yes it will suck some in, but it is just such a small amount that it is no problem. That I why I use some of the wort. I take a sanitized turkey baster and use that to grab some of the wort to squirt above the seal.

I have since replaced that auto siphon and no longer have to do that, but it worked well when I had the one that leaked.

Back