Leaf issue and bug identification.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmich24

Reaction score
I have a leaf issue as shown on pictures, this same plant has a ton of this bug pictured on it as well. The plant in question is a Chinook. The leaf issue started towards the bottom and is slowly making its was up.

Thanks in advance!

image2.jpeg

photo.JPG

image.jpeg

hungry4hops - That is not a striped cucumber beetle. The head is orange, where a cucumber beetle has a black head. Also, that black area on the rear of the abdomen is not consistent with a cucumber beetle either.

http://www.americangourdsociety.org/FAQ/cucumber_beetle.html

Jmich24 -If you cannot find any critters on your leaves aside from a single beetle, than I would say that the culprit is long gone. That kind of damage is very typical of caterpillar/sawfly larvae, which usually only have one cycle each year. Bottom line, don't bother spraying if you can't find a target!

There were 25-50 "beetles" on my two Chinook plants this afternoon. Is there an agreement that it a bug doing the leaf damage? Should I treat?

Back