Lead poisoning from wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundsandsuds

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Here's my first real post. It is a should-i-turf-my-batch question, but not for the usual reasons.
This was my first batch, a hefeweizen, from extract. I missed the OG, (1.020 instead of 1.045) because I didn't realize that I had a 6.5 gallon carboy and not a 5. I used my carboy as my primary and my bucket as my secondary. I added (boiled) extract in the secondary to try to bring the OG back up, according to a recalculation of the recipe for 6 gallons. I waited an extra couple of weeks for it to ferment. Now it's bottled.
I messed up in a bunch of spots, and I'm okay with that.
It tastes okay, and I know to give it time to age. The thing that I'm a little worried about; though, is that there may be lead in it from the wort chiller. I washed the wort chiller with soap and water to get any surface grime off of it, but I didn't know (they didn't mention it in the instructions) to cure it with vinegar and peroxide to remove any surface lead.
Does anyone know what quantities of lead I would be looking at? I know that any quantity of lead is not good, but certain levels will be higher than normal environmental exposures.

Yeah I'm not sure what kind of chiller you have, but if its a copper immersion chiller you are fine. Brass is what has some lead in it and you can pickle to get rid of it, but copper does not contain lead. As far as I am aware, I have never seen brass tubing that you can bend like copper so I wouldn't worry about it.

Yeah I'm not sure what kind of chiller you have, but if its a copper immersion chiller you are fine. Brass is what has some lead in it and you can pickle to get rid of it, but copper does not contain lead. As far as I am aware, I have never seen brass tubing that you can bend like copper so I wouldn't worry about it.

Great. That was the info i was looking for. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back