Layer of gunk?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rx4beer

Reaction score
First batch! I'm planning on secondary fermentation, against what looks like popular opinion. Next time I think it's a strait trip to carboy to let it brew! On to the question- it's been 7 days in a 6 gal bucket. I want to siphon into carboy when I took off top of bucket there is a layer of thick foam. Is this ready to move? Is this normal? Should I scoop off before siphoning? Thanks any help?

This is a standard ale used 5 lbs of wheat/dme and used 3 ounces of hops in boil (2 full and 1 the last 10 min) 60 min total boil, my east coast ale yeast started there fun on time 2 to 3 hrs after entry to the party. Has been at 65 deg.

That's krausen. I usually wait at least 2 weeks before racking from primary, by which time there's almost never any left.

Measure your FG...if it's where it's supposed to be based on the recipe you brewed, then rack to secondary. If it's at all higher, wait longer.

Personally, I'd give it another few days at least regardless. I know you're excited to drink it, but the longer you wait the better it'll taste anyway. You're already going to do a secondary for at least 2-3 weeks...between that and bottle carbing and you're over a month in...what's another 3-4 days?

Thanks very helpfull! Ill wait a few and see if the krausen goes its merry way! If it doesn't do u clear off before siphoning? My bucket has a small hole on top, I stuck a fermentation lock in it but it doesn't make a good seal? Should I put some tape on it to seal or is the co2 doing the job?

that white stuff is called krausen (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Kraeusen). completely normal. it usually, but not always, falls back into the beer once fermentation is done. but it's not guaranteed to do so, so you should not wait on that as a sign that fermentation is done.

7 days is too soon to rack. let it sit in primary at least for 14 days, then start taking gravity readings. if two samples taken 3 days apart are stable (same reading), then you're done and ready to rack.

as as much as possible, avoid opening your bucket more than you have to. you want to limit how much oxygen the beer is exposed to.

(EDIT: corrected section in bold)

Thanks more great info! Ill leave in for another week. Should I rig the fermentation lock so it seals, or do I not have to worry until its in the secondary carboy? There are no bubbles going through it because I'm assuming they are escaping around it. I feel like I'm missing something without bubbles to watch/count��

^there should be a rubber grommet/o-ring type Thing, or a rubber stopper in the hole in your bucket. You insert the airlock into the rubber grommet/stopper, thus sealing it.

If your airlock is just inside that hole, that's why its not sealing. If you're gonna rack to secondary anyways, i wouldn't sweat it. Co2 blanket will protect the beer, and once your krausen drops, rack to secondary and make sure your airlock seals.

Awesome! That was very helpfull! The beer will live!! This homebrew process and this site are awesome! I hope one day to be able to add some pointers! For now ill just try to enjoy riding the learning curve:) thanks and happy brewing!!

Latest posts

Back