Lawnmower Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmurm

Reaction score
I am looking for a Beer for the wife. She likes them light, and also with some honey.
Hear are my thoughts on what to add
Northern Brewer
Minimal Carmel 40
and some Honey Malt, or should i just stick with Pure honey in the carboy?
Notingham yeast

Anyone have a good lawnmower beer?

Also should i just add acid, or RO water to reduce the Residual Alkalinity?

Looks good, I will try it out this weekend. What if i substituted Willamette for centennial?

Has anyone Used Rice and do you have to boil it? any thoughts on using rice?

Honey doesn't really impart much honey flavor. It all just ferments out. Honey malt is the way to go if you really want a taste of honey in the beer.

Maybe a patersbier?

9 lbs. Pilsen Malt
1 oz. Hallertau Tradition (Pellets, 5.8 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.5 oz. Czech Saaz (Pellets, 3.2 %AA) boiled 10 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP530 Abbey Ale

I like the lemon zest idea, but not sure how much for 5 gallons, last time i threw whole lemons in my beer it sucked tasted like you were taking a bite out to the skin. First i squeezed them and then i figured what the hell and tossed the whole things in.
Ive gotten smarter about things like this since!

Any Good lime beers floating around? She loves bud light lime.

I have all the hops for the patersbier, just not the grain, so i will have to save that for another day.

I like the lemon zest idea, but not sure how much for 5 gallons, last time i threw whole lemons in my beer it sucked tasted like you were taking a bite out to the skin. First i squeezed them and then i figured what the hell and tossed the whole things in.
Ive gotten smarter about things like this since!

Any Good lime beers floating around? She loves bud light lime.

I have all the hops for the patersbier, just not the grain, so i will have to save that for another day.

Oooooooh yeah you shouldn't add the juice, and especially not the entire lemon.

Zest 2-4 lemons or limes... personally I'd go all-lime or 70% lemon / 30% lime. By zest I mean use a potato peeler, cheese grater or (for best results) zester and take off only the colored part of the skin. If you get down to the hard, white stuff you've hit the pith and you will regret putting it in your brew. Add the zest to your boil with 5 minutes left. You'll be good to go.

The above instructions apply to oranges, but: zest of 4-6 sweet oranges or 2-4 sour oranges.

Adding one or all of the aforementioned citrus zest will go great in BM's Centennial Blonde.

I'll trade you for some munich malt if you want to make a blonde or something out of pilsner malt.

You could maybe try out a braggot that's more towards the beer side than the mead. I've never had a real light one though so I dunno.

A good SMaSH always makes for excellent lawnmower beer. Maris Otter and EKG with an OG of 1.050 or so fermented with a healthy yeast between 65-70 makes for a light, refreshing beer. It tastes excellent served with a lime.

Great. Ive got some MO, i am thinking i might add the honey malt to that and thats it. Keep it simple. I am going to brew in a day or two, i will let u know what i do and how it goes.

Well just got done brewing this batch. I used all MO and some Honey malt.
The Mash went excellent! I got very clear wort, and 84% efficiency going into the fermenter.
However the boil went not so well. Right after i hit a boil i ran out of gas! I knew this would happen today and figured that i would just snag the tank off the grill. So i did and carried on for about 2 minutes until that one went dead.
So i just threw the rest of the hops in and the chiller, and let it sit for another 20 until i turned the water on.

Who knows how its going to turn out! Luckily i had good efficiency to makeup for the gallon over volume

I tryed that but it was like holding onto a fire hose and the kettle was still below boiling. Who knows I probly could have hung onto that thing for a wile longer but I was getting tired. I think it will still be good. Way more hop aroma and flavor than bitterness.

Wonder if anyones done something like this before, and what the result is. BTW i am so sick of gass

BendBrewer, sounds good but I'm not the biggest fan of actual honey in beer... unless it's a special kind of honey than adds awesome aromas.

Did the honey carryover much?

Typically honey flavor never carries over unless it's an incredibly strong flavored honey from a special plant. If you want to add honey flavor use 0.5-1.0# of honey malt... BierMuncher uses it in a lot of his brews too.

One I did that turned out excellent, and the wife loves it:

7# German Vienna Malt
3# German Wheat Malt

.5 oz Hallataur @60 min
.5 oz Hallataur @15 min

1 vial WLP 400
5 grams Nottingham Dry

Drinkable a week or so after 2 weeks in primary. It's the Wit Bier we are drinking in Keg 1. It was going to be my 4th of July weekend beer, but I fear the keg will be empty by then.

Latest posts

Back