Last few gravity points?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGTSparty

Reaction score
I made a AG wheat beer last weekend and I'm hoping for some help. I'm still trying to figure out how to get beersmith to work with my jerry-rigged set up accurately so due to a bunch of reasons I missed my OG by.008. I came in at .042 ish instead of .05 estimated. After a week in the primary I took a hydro sample this morning and its sitting about .013 ish instead of the predicted .010. Since I already missed my OG low and a bit worried about then also missing my FG high. Any suggestions on how to get those last few points? Should I just leave it be for another week or two? Will bringing it upstairs from the basement (the basement is about 65 ambient right now but it was colder earlier this week, down into the 35-45 range over night which probably dropped the basement temp) help give it another push or will that just introduce problems?

Any help would be appreciated

Taking it upstairs is a good idea but don't slosh it around if possible. Give it another week and if your still no satisfied you can add a little simple sugar syrup to raise your ABV but to much will thin out your beer. Right now your sitting at 3.81%

A FG reading could be off for many reasons. .003 is nothing. Perhaps your mash was a degree or two high. How long has it been in the fermenter. Bring it up to warmer temps and let it go a few more days or a week and see if anything happens. If not it's done.

This is a live, natural process. Nature does not adhere to exact FG. Close enough is good enough

I'll add another vote for Don't worry about it. It's not a bad idea to let an ale warm up after active fermentation is over, and you might have gotten it way too cool in the basement. Since you had a bit of a hiccup with low temperature, I'd suggest leaving it for a total of three weeks before bottling just to make sure. Make sure gravity is stable over 2 - 3 days before bottling - bottling before fermentation is finished can cause bottle bombs.

I'll add another vote for Don't worry about it. It's not a bad idea to let an ale warm up after active fermentation is over, and you might have gotten it way too cool in the basement. Since you had a bit of a hiccup with low temperature, I'd suggest leaving it for a total of three weeks before bottling just to make sure. Make sure gravity is stable over 2 - 3 days before bottling - bottling before fermentation is finished can cause bottle bombs.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm kegging so bottle bombs aren't an issue. I think based on the feedback I'll leave it alone for a few more days since it's supposed to warm up to the 80s and if it doesn't warm the basement up I'll bring it upstairs for a week or two

Thanks to everyone for the advice on this. I let it sit another few days and then took another sample which I left sit out on the counter for a few minutes and hit 1.010

Latest posts

Back