Larger batches in an Anvil 6.5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlb307

Reaction score
I've brewed smaller batches for years, which is why I went with the Anvil Foundry 6.5.
However, once in a while I'd like to take a crack at a 5 gallon batch.
Anybody out there try it, and what did you do?
Parti-gyle?
Reiterated mash?
Double brews?

I've been thinking about buying the 6.5 gallon foundry. I brew extract recipes, so i am wondering if that is possible with the foundry. I will have to keep an eye on this thread. Hopefully someone that has experience using it will post a reply.

I've been following the FB group, and a guy brewed a 5 gal extract batch in the 6.5, but it was *very* full. there was some concern about boil over in the comments, but it looked successful. based on what I've been seeing, a better approach (and I am a total newbie at beer) might be to reserve a gallon of water, and add it at the end of the boil to help maintain headspace for boil over, and help with the cool-down.

I made a 16 liter (4.2 gal) batch size of a Festbier and had plenty of room to target at least another liter more. I added a drop of Fermcap S as the foam started to build going into the boil and it went fine. I figured that I could use 120V instead of 240V which would drop the boil off rate from 4 lph to 2 lph and that would gain me another couple of liters in the fermenter. That brings me pretty close to 19 liters in theory. My process does involve using a second kettle to do a batch sparge.

Back