Large mouth carboy from Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say your at a disadvantage buying a big mouth because of the space at the top (at least as far as secondary fermenation goes).

With a regular carboy you have the narrow neck (which means less surface area in contact with your beer and less chance of oxidizing.) This is assuming that you fill your carboys to the neck.

For this reason I would only get a big mouth in 6.5 gallon carboy, since I would only use them for primary fermentation.

My 5 gallon carboy has never been filled to the neck so it's always had the same surface area as the Bubbler now has. I just bought a 6.5 gallon version to secondary NB's Plinian legacy which is formulated to yield a 6 gallon batch before loss to substantial hops. After that I'll be able to primary in it. And watching fermentation will beat anything on TV...

I bought one(5 gallon secondary)....and I really like it! I just put a "Lemon coconut cream ale" into it. I put 1 lb. of toasted coconut into the carboy...so easy! No freaking way I could stuff that down the neck of my old standard secondary.

The lid on thing is made out of some pretty cheap plastic though. It also has a "weird" style of airlock that comes with it. I don't trust that though. I bought a 5.5 drilled bung to fit my 3 piece airlock on to it.

I also bought the harness... it fits really nice and I recommend it to anyone buying the big mouth carboy.

I also bought the harness... it fits really nice and I recommend it to anyone buying the big mouth carboy.

Someone mentioned in another post that the cheap "Brew Hauler" harnesses work fine with the plastic BigMouth bubblers. I bought one hoping to use it with my 6.5 gallon glass carboy, but it didn't fit, so I have one. :) Hopefully it'll work with the 6.5 gallon plastic BMB! :D

Latest posts

Back