LaMotte Water Test Kit-Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ki-ri-n

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I'm thinking about testing (or having) my water tested. I'm on a well and don't have an RO system yet-Currently using 100% Distilled. Seeing as how a well can change through out the year, I thought it might be a good idea to try the LaMotte kit. I could analyse my water a number of times vs sending in multiple samples to Ward labs which would cost more.

Question is, has anyone used it or compared the results from this kit vs a place like Ward Labs? Is it close, close enough or not even in the same ball park? I know BrewStrong recommends it but LaMotte is a sponsor....

It's a drop count kit and thus its resolution isn't that great. If you water varies from alkalinity of 45 to 48 you won't see it but if it changes from 45 to 90 you will. In the former case you still know that your water is of low variation.

Do not rely on the sulfate test which is of very low precision (50 mg/L) or the sodium number which is calculated from the sulfate.

I bought one used it two or three times. Found out that my water report from the city was pretty darn close to what the kit was telling me. If I had to do it again. I would not buy one.

Good to know it was "pretty close" to the cities report but I don't have that luxury.
I assume it would be beneficial to use before & after I install a RO system.

Back