Lambic Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZLunchie

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I'm looking to brew a lambic - I have yeast that captured off silage (yes, fodder), but I have some questions, hoping someone here can answer them:

1. I have already grown the yeast. In the words of a fellow brewer here, it smells terrible but tastes like orange juice. Since I have no idea what is in what I captured, am I better off doing a sour mash with it?

2. I have no idea on a recipe. I have done some reading and it seems a 70/30 Pilsner/Wheat seems to be the way to go. I looked into a turbid mash, but I think for my first time, I'd like to go for a single decoction mash. Is it possible to use a 70/20/10 of Pils, Wheat, Dark Wheat to add some complexity to the beer?

3. I have fruit to add. Around 8kg (17lb) of frozen feijoa I have ready to go. I'm thinking this will be too much for a 23l (6g) batch? When do I add the fruit and how much do you think? I'm keen for the whole lot depending on how sour it gets.

4. I do not have any glass to secondary in so am thinking of tying up a keg for the secondary/aging process. I was also thinking of throwing in some oak. Is this something that is normally done? If so, should I use raw oak, or toast it first?

5. Hops. From my reading I see aged hops seem to be the way to go. I don't have any, so would a noble hop be suitable to use? Since I'm in NZ, I'm thinking a low dose of Motueka maybe? Low AA% but high aroma. If I do, how many IBU am I looking to get?

I'm sure I will have other questions but for now that's it.....

Make absolutely sure your IBU is LOW as to not inhibit the bacteria. I think you can order aged hops specifically used for lambics. Your grain bill is fine. 17lbs. is a bit overkill for six gallons, so save a portion for another brew or wine. As for your yeast and oaking, I'm not really sure. I say go for it with the yeast. I've never oaked before, so...

Make absolutely sure your IBU is LOW as to not inhibit the bacteria. I think you can order aged hops specifically used for lambics. Your grain bill is fine. 17lbs. is a bit overkill for six gallons, so save a portion for another brew or wine. As for your yeast and oaking, I'm not really sure. I say go for it with the yeast. I've never oaked before, so...

Thanks for your response :)
I've had some more input from the lovely folks on Milk The Funk on Facebook and have decided to just do a plain lambic for now, without the fruit. I have a couple of 30L sanke kegs that I plan to use as my sour beer fermenters. Once I can get around to modifying those I'll get to brewing.

Still planning to use the same recipe 70/20/10 of Pils, Wheat, Dark Wheat and if I can find some aged hops here in NZ, or just like you say, go low on the IBU and let it funk up.

Back