Lallemand Novalager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramjet

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a Mexican lager (Northern Brewer Atlantico). I am going to try the Novalager yeast and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this yeast. Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks Ramjet

Thanks everyone. I brewed yesterday pitched the yeast about 65 degrees, set the fermentation chamber at 60 degrees and had activity in the airlock after 12 hours. Hope it turns out.
I've done three batches with it so far. It's a nice neutral yeast, no sulfur or off flavors; but if you're looking for bright clear beer from it, you're going to wait a while. The flocculation is meh at best, even with gelatin in the keg it takes a couple of weeks for it to really clear out.

Giving it is a lager, taking awhile to clear is a good thing. Lagers have to age.

So I've now brewed four beers with this yeast, and I'm giving my final take on it. It's a great concept, and technically a good yeast; but I'm not liking the aggregate results. I've done one very good beer on it. Two of the others were meh, but I'm calling myself out on that as the recipes weren't the best for the yeast. However, the last one I brewed with it, a Marzen that I've done many times before, came out pretty not good. Yes, I used slurry on it, and some may say I overpitched (1.061 SG so I'm not thinking that), but I'm not really liking the flavor. My process was pretty much on point (yes I am aware that I could have missed something). Beer is very dry, no oxidation or off flavors, just puckery dry on the back end. Yes I could have screwed something up, but going back over my notes it was done right.

I can get past the lack of clarity, that's what time (and gelatin) is for. But I'm not too terribly fond of the flavor. I'm going to brew the exact same recipe in the next few weeks but ferment on 34/70 instead, and compare the results.

So I've now brewed four beers with this yeast, and I'm giving my final take on it. It's a great concept, and technically a good yeast; but I'm not liking the aggregate results. I've done one very good beer on it. Two of the others were meh, but I'm calling myself out on that as the recipes weren't the best for the yeast. However, the last one I brewed with it, a Marzen that I've done many times before, came out pretty not good. Yes, I used slurry on it, and some may say I overpitched (1.061 SG so I'm not thinking that), but I'm not really liking the flavor. My process was pretty much on point (yes I am aware that I could have missed something). Beer is very dry, no oxidation or off flavors, just puckery dry on the back end. Yes I could have screwed something up, but going back over my notes it was done right.

I can get past the lack of clarity, that's what time (and gelatin) is for. But I'm not too terribly fond of the flavor. I'm going to brew the exact same recipe in the next few weeks but ferment on 34/70 instead, and compare the results.
I have an experimental 2.5G batch of Pilsner fermenting with Novalager right now. I was quite pleased with it in my AvgBrü West Coast Pils, but the high attenuation and hop expression were positive attributes for that beer. I'm interested to see how a highly-attenuative lager yeast will affect the final beer in a fairly standard Pilsner recipe. I'm hoping for something very crisp, like a Mexican lager. I mashed at 147F and Brewfather is predicting nearly 92% attenuation, which seems awfully high--too high, actually. So, your comment on puckery dry is concerning. As an aside, mouth-puckering dryness almost sounds like astringency to me.

Regarding the lowish flocculation, there's now enough data to say that this strain will initially create a somewhat hazy beer, which isn't ideal for brewers wanting to make classic lagers which folks expect to be brilliantly clear. That said, 90% of pro brewers reported that they were satisfied with clarity following whatever means of clarification they chose. My experience was pretty solid using gelatin. Not sparklingly clear, but clear. I'd give at an 8 out of 10 on clarity.

Giving it is a lager, taking awhile to clear is a good thing. Lagers have to age.
The primary goal for Lallemand in developing this yeast was the ability to reduce fermenter and tank residency time, while producing a clean lager flavor. Lagers have traditionally needed to rest in cold storage for many weeks to allow off flavors to be corrected and also to allow time for clarification. So, while you might have to wait for your Novalager-fermented beer to clear, you should be able to enjoy drinking it much sooner than traditional lager yeasts. At least, that was the intent.

I am thinking of trying this with a Pils to see how it goes. I have been told on this forum and others, that this yeast is not like a traditional lager where it has to ferment colder. I am still working on my temps in my closet so anything that will do what it does in the range of 65 to 70 is what I need for now. Eventually a better fermenting setup will be created, but as of now, that is what I have to work with. Interested in the results and some of the stats on what you did to ferment and to age. Rock On!!!!!!

Miine came out pretty good and tasty
20230620_164544.jpg

Looks clear to me. Couldn't tell while drinking it out of a stainless mug on pool day how clear it was but the taste was clean and crisp, absolutely Delicious.

I'm interested if anyone has recycled Novalager yeast, I've done it twice and both times there has been off flavours in the beer, first use has has great results

I'm interested if anyone has recycled Novalager yeast, I've done it twice and both times there has been off flavours in the beer, first use has has great results
I just ordered a pack and will be banking it up. I'll let you know the results!

Can you be more specific? What do you consider "off flavors"?
By recycle, do you mean simply pitching directly on the undisturbed used yeast cake?

I'm sipping on a blonde ale fermented with novalager now. I will say this isn't the cleanest lager strain nor is it crisp. I could see where this could be used as a kolsch strain potentially or even more for an American adjunct lager. I really think this strain would shine in an adjunct lager with around 15 ibus first wort hops. The adjuncts would help crisp up the beer. I'm pulling a bit of apple off this strain. If anything this makes me think of a more robust, wider temp tolerant, less crisp, wlp840 (aka budweiser) strain. I would recommend using this to warm ferment anything you would normally cold ferment with wlp840 and expect less crisp results. It's not the exact strain but I think it is definitely in the ballpark. With that said this is far from my favorite strain and will get minimal use in my home brewery. I will keep a pack around for a break glass use but that's about it.

I brewed a Cream Ale recipe with a 2nd generation of Novalager yeast slurry and went grain to glass in a week. My grainbill was 75% North Star Pils, 5% carafoam, 10% flaked corn and 10% minute rice. Did a 30 minute mash at 150 and a 90 minute boil with a 60 min. Addition of Willamette hops for 28 ibus. Also added flameout addition of Willamette hops. Chilled down to 67 degrees and pitched yeast slurry and set fermentation chamber for 67 degrees.

Pretty impressed with how clean this beer tastes especially after 7 days. I think this yeast would work great in a cream ale or blonde ale and would not hesitate to use this yeast in place of S-05.

Back