American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to run with the OP recipe, unless it's been modified somewhere in the post, I've been through about half of the complete post. I think I'm going to use victory instead of toasting the malt, I'm still looking through the post to see what seems to be a good amount to do this swap.

From what I've been reading Amarillo gives more orange/tangerine and maybe some lemon with grapefruit in the background. Guess we'll find out :)

I think I'm going to run with the OP recipe, unless it's been modified somewhere in the post, I've been through about half of the complete post. I think I'm going to use victory instead of toasting the malt, I'm still looking through the post to see what seems to be a good amount to do this swap.

From what I've been reading Amarillo gives more orange/tangerine and maybe some lemon with grapefruit in the background. Guess we'll find out :)

I was thinking about doing the exact same thing. I read somewhere in the post that someone subbed the toasted malt straight up for victory and it turned out fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Sorry for another question...

The OP shows 44IBU's with 8.5% Amarillo and 13% Simcoe. When I plug that into BrewMate I'm coming up with 54IBU's and when I put it into the calculator on Brewersfriend it comes up with 60IBU's so is the OP a typo? I know the OP was in 2007 and calculators have probably advanced in how they calculate this but I just want to know if others are shooting for 44 or just taking what they get by using the hop amounts posted in the OP?

I'll weigh in. Adjust your recipe to be about 1.048-1.050 and 44-48 IBU. That's the target range I go for. I've been using Beertools for the software and I adjust the AA% of the hops for whatever I get from the brewstore. It is home brewing, it doesn't have to be exact. ;)

I'll also offer my opinion on the hops. There is just something about Simcoe and Amarillo together. The 2 together give that tropical aroma and flavor that separately just don't do. I also like to add Centennial in the dry hop occasionally for that fruity pebbles aroma.

And to those wanting to sub Victory, 1-2 lbs instead of the 2 lb.'s of toasted malt is good...but I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to stuff their home with the aroma of toasted malt. It is so amazing!

And to those wanting to sub Victory, 1-2 lbs instead of the 2 lb.'s of toasted malt is good...but I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to stuff their home with the aroma of toasted malt. It is so amazing!

Yes, it's fun and smells fantastic. Plus, it's cheaper!

I brewed this up this past Saturday. My OG came out at 1.050 and it has been bubbling away since. I even made some dog treats out of my spent grains. Can't wait for this be ready. Thanks again for the recipe.

I brewed this up this past Saturday. My OG came out at 1.050 and it has been bubbling away since. I even made some dog treats out of my spent grains. Can't wait for this be ready. Thanks again for the recipe.

Jealous. Enjoy.

I'm going to add one of those posts where....It's not really Lake Walk any more but here it goes...

I used the grain bill straight up as I liked it. I was out of Amarillo so I subed in Mosaic & Citra.

I made 8 Gallons.... 5 is on Denny's Fav 50 3 is on 1335.

BTW...I've made the original recipe before and it was one of my favorite pale's hence why I made it again, just w/ different hops.

So I needed a quick entry for an upcoming comp in June that needed to be American based. Buddy I chose this ale as a baseline and subbed out a couple of grains. Anyway, I wanted to stay with your hop-up, but LBHS was out of Amarillo. I subbed it with Chinook, but the Alphas are 3 points higher. Is there a way I can adjust the hop schedule to keep the IBUs within this ale range. BTW Im doing a 3 gallon batch and keeping with the same measurements for the initial hop boil. Im thinking either drop the .75 to .50 at 60 or go with the .75 at like 40 or 50 mins? Any thoughts from the pros out there?

So I needed a quick entry for an upcoming comp in June that needed to be American based. Buddy I chose this ale as a baseline and subbed out a couple of grains. Anyway, I wanted to stay with your hop-up, but LBHS was out of Amarillo. I subbed it with Chinook, but the Alphas are 3 points higher. Is there a way I can adjust the hop schedule to keep the IBUs within this ale range. BTW Im doing a 3 gallon batch and keeping with the same measurements for the initial hop boil. Im thinking either drop the .75 to .50 at 60 or go with the .75 at like 40 or 50 mins? Any thoughts from the pros out there?

Also, I wanted to point out, that when I scale down on recipes, the hop characteristics always seem to suffer, so lately I have been keeping the same quantity of hops and have been hitting my aroma and bitterness marks a lot better...despite what a calc says...ime.

You probably realize this, but Chinook is very very different than Amarillo. It's considered by many to be dank and piney, with kind of a harsh bitterness. If it were me, any addition that would add bitterness would be scaled down actually lower than the equivalent Amarillo. That's my two cents, take it for what it's worth. There are much better substitutions for Amarillo than chinook, but again I imagine that you already realize that.

I figured they shared the same characteristics, so we are of different tastes, I guess. What would have been a suitable substitute to you if Amarillo didnt exist?

I figured they shared the same characteristics, so we are of different tastes, I guess. What would have been a suitable substitute to you if Amarillo didnt exist?

Chinook is kind of a league all its own in my experience. Amarillo gives a very bright citrus and cleaner bittering (although it's not a true bittering hop). I probably would have grabbed mosaic, galaxy, or sorachi ace, but Amarillo is hard to sub for since it's pretty unique. Someone else might have a better suggestion.

I agree that Chinook is like Amarillo in one way, it's different from others and hard to make a true sub for. I don't particularly care for Chinook and citrus would be one of the last things I would associate it with it.

From talking to one of the more experienced guys at LHBS he said he would go with a combo of Centennial, Summit, and Sorachi Ace to attempt to mimic Amarillo. The hard part would be coming up with what amounts of each to get close.

After 10 days in the primary. Already tastes wonderful.

1398121268152.jpg

Brewed this up recently. Just had my first taste. The only thing I can say is Holy Crap! This is freaking amazing. The Amarillo/Simcoe mix makes for a juicy, tropical, why have I waited so long to try this combo beer.

Brewed this on Sunday as BIAB. Still trying to figure out my efficiency, because it's has varied anywhere from 65% to 73%, i'd like it to be higher but more importantly trying to get it consistent. Anyway because of this I hit 1.048 so a little low but that's ok just makes it a little more sessionable.

Basically stuck to the OP recipe, except used 2lb Vistory instead of toasting some 2-row, mainly for times sake. I also used WY1450 (Denny's Favorite) from my last brew in place of the S-05, hopefully I didn't under pitch. I had a full White Labs tube of yeast, which is about double the yeast that normally ships in them so I think it'll be ok. I'm on a Denny's Favorite kick right now, hoping to make it one of my go to yeasts.

Brewed this on Sunday as BIAB. Still trying to figure out my efficiency, because it's has varied anywhere from 65% to 73%, i'd like it to be higher but more importantly trying to get it consistent. Anyway because of this I hit 1.048 so a little low but that's ok just makes it a little more sessionable.

Basically stuck to the OP recipe, except used 2lb Vistory instead of toasting some 2-row, mainly for times sake. I also used WY1450 (Denny's Favorite) from my last brew in place of the S-05, hopefully I didn't under pitch. I had a full White Labs tube of yeast, which is about double the yeast that normally ships in them so I think it'll be ok. I'm on a Denny's Favorite kick right now, hoping to make it one of my go to yeasts.

Let me know how yours turns out 8 made this again with 1450 as well, sitting in the keg, should be ready for a sample this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Six more gallons in the books. Used S04 instead this time. We'll see if the yeast profile steps on the hop profile. Hopefully not, it was a really solid pitch, and fermenting on the low end of the temp spectrum.

What have all of you been doing for a fermentation schedule? This weekend will be two weeks in the primary, I don't typically secondary anything unless adding things that need it. Also, WY1450 seems to take some extra time to finish out and clean up so while it seems like some have been doing a 14 day ferment, 21 days may be ideal due to the strain I used.
I'm thinking of adding the dry hops on Wednesday of this coming week then bottling on the weekend. I've been reading up on dry hopping and many commercial brewers are now stating that 3 -4 days is ideal for dry hopping.

What have all of you been doing for a fermentation schedule? This weekend will be two weeks in the primary, I don't typically secondary anything unless adding things that need it. Also, WY1450 seems to take some extra time to finish out and clean up so while it seems like some have been doing a 14 day ferment, 21 days may be ideal due to the strain I used.
I'm thinking of adding the dry hops on Wednesday of this coming week then bottling on the weekend. I've been reading up on dry hopping and many commercial brewers are now stating that 3 -4 days is ideal for dry hopping.

Primary until it's done fermenting plus two days for diacetyl clean up, then transfer. Dry hop four days, cold crash, transfer to keg, week on gas at serving pressure, drink.

I'll be bottling so i'll give my normal 1 week of room temp condition time then taste one and add to my rotation to the fridge if it's ready. I also don't have good means to cold crash, I have to actual ferment at my in laws house due to lack of good temp space and keeping kids away. So i'm thinking that dropping the dry hops in Wed, morning and then bottle Sat or Sun will work out.

I have high hopes for this one and have been leaving it alone, can't wait to taste the hydro sample before I dry hop it :)

I dry hopped mine in the keg. After 2 weeks of set and forget carbing the first pull was a hop aroma/flavor bomb. So good. It has faded and seemed to get bitterer but this is a great beer. Clear as can be too.

Tried a hydro sample today. Not as bitter as I was expecting which is OK by me. Hopefully the dry hopping brings out the aroma and taste because the hydro wasn't very pronounced.

Getting ready to brew an 11 gal batch of this tonight, just realized I only grabbed one pack of s05. Have Wy1332 and a pack of nottingham, which would be a better option?

Bottled last night. Wow!! Big burst of pineapple mixed with other tropical fruits. Can't say I've tasted anything like this, homebrew or commercial. Can't way for these to carbonate and start enjoying.
Thanks for all the info and recipe.

I've had a few bottles now and have handed out a few. Consensus so far is that this is excellent. The smell and taste are more mellow than what I got when bottling, I think just the large amount in the bottling bucket made it seem stronger.

There's a nice smooth tropical fruit taste, pineapple, mango, and some cantaloupe like notes. A friend that is more of an IPA guy than anything else loved this. Said it could have been a little more on the bitter side but other than that it's great.

Mine was an explosion of tropical on the first few pours. Then a week later it had faded but was still a damn fine beer. I had bitter to spare at the end. Going to make it again soon.

Love this beer, was my second batch of this...will be a regular in my double tap for sure. My over the top hop aroma seems to fade quickly...any remedy for this? Maybe hop ball or bag in the keg instead of in secondary? I use op recipe except spit latest 11 gal batch s-05 and wy-1332...really like the finished product of 're wy-1332...Both went from 1.052 to 1.009

I'm getting ready to brew this hopefully Thursday of next week. This will be my first all grain batch so any advise would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

My second batch turned out to be significantly darker than the first. Interesting, the only change I made was using S-04 instead of US-05. Either way, still delicious.

Hey guys,
I'm going to brew a double batch tomorrow. I read the first couple of pages of replies and a lot of guys said that this turned out dry even with 153 for mash. I am considering putting a 1/2 # of dexedrin in the double batch. Any thoughts?
SHAL

I used the original recipe and Denny's Fav, WY1450, and have gotten comments from friends about his smooth it is for a Pale.

I haven't used much dextrin so I can't give any advise on that.

Sir-Hops-a-Lot: why not just mash higher, say 156? It will convert faster & you won't have to add malto-dextrin. I like a dryer beer myself.

I brewed the recipe as written today. I will see how it tastes and perhaps do mods from there
thanks
SHAL

This may have been addressed earlier, i saw talk of softer biterness... But my brewersfriend recipe says 65.15 IBU (tinseth)!!! Did i miss something?

Back