Lagering, kegging, and chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgonzo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Logic question:

I haven't historically done many lagers, but I seem to be increasing them in my rotation lately. I have a traditional bock that's lagering right now, and I can definitely see a settlement line where the chill haze is dropping. I assume I can speed the process with gelatin, but I was wondering what people's experiences were with how thick the chill haze protein layer gets on the bottom.

Reason I ask is that once I'm done lagering and ready to transfer to a keg, won't I just suck most of those proteins back up? Seems the only way to truly reduce chill haze is to lager in the keg itself (instead of a secondary) and then blow it out with the first couple pints.

I do the latter. If given enough time lagering in the keg, only the first pint and a half or so are cloudy, with the rest being bright and clear. I do a quick crash in the carboy before transferring to the keg, also.

Back