Lagering in Corny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottG58

Reaction score
I was going to transfer an Oktoberfest to secondary to lager for a few months. LBS guy said lager in corny. I am going to transport the finished product a couple of hundred miles to a party.

My question is does lagering settle out compounds that will be re-introduced to the beer if the lagering keg is shaken on transport?

Or "should I lager in corny if I'm going to move the finished beer?

If you let everything settle out, keg and force carb there's very little sediment to be re introduced. If you naturally carb the keg then you have yeast that can be mixed back up into the beer, just like if you bottle conditioned and moved/bounched them around.

Lagering can be done just fine with either, but the keg doesnt let light in, is easier to move around and its hard to spill (when its closed up) and doesnt break. But on the flip side all your o-rings have to be good and it has to have pressure to seal up tight, compared to just a stopper for the carboy. I'd just go with whatever you have spares of you aren't going to need, me i have 12 kegs and only 4 carboys, so i only secondary for a month or whenever i can get around to it at cold temperatures before i keg and carb so i can get to brewing the next beer. And i only really secondary in the carboy these days unless my beer isnt real clear from cold crashing and letting it sit like that for a while in primary, then it gets the secondary treatment.

Transporting in the corney is definitely the way to go, I dont want to chance 5 gal of beer spilling in the car. Hope that helps!

I lager in my corny kegs all the time. Prior to racking the beer to them, I do cold crash the primary for a week at 35*F so that what goes into the keg is pretty darn clear.

Before transporting, pull a few glasses of brew off the keg. Then, you can rig up a transfer line (with two black couplers) to push the beer into the liquid post of another keg (purged with CO2 of course) so that you leave the gunk behind in the first keg.

Yes, there will definitely be some junk that settles out after 2 months of lagering; I see probably 0.25 to 0.5 cup of yeast and such.

+1 to lagering in a keg then transferring to another keg prior to transport.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back