Lagering began way ahead of schedule -- by accident!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordan

Reaction score
I've had schwarzbier fermenting since the 20th with 34/70 at 11c; however, sometime in the past four days, while I was out of town, the heat bulb in my fermentation chamber died and i came home this evening to a temperature of 4c (chamber is in my unheated wood room). I've now replaced the bulb, but I'm guessing the yeast have already moved a good way to dormancy. So, what advice do we have? Set it to D Rest temps and hope for the best? Rock the Carboy to rouse the yeast? Would love some opinions from experienced lager brewers!

For those who find this thread in the future and have a similar issue, I set my temp controller back to my fermenting temp, 11c, and rocked the carboy a bit to rouse the yeast. This morning, 8 hours later, it's up to 8c and there are signs that fermentation has kicked back in -- so no stress!

So can anyone believe this happened to me AGAIN, with the SAME beer? By the time I noticed the temp had fallen to 0.6c. Put in (another) new bulb, fixed the overheating issue (I think) and putting it up to 18c for d-rest -- next morning it was bubbling away again with some small bubble clusters on the surface.

I'm staring to think that 34/70 is the most forgiving yeast on the planet!

Back