Lagering an ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, yes the hop flavor will fade some. But you could always dry hop it after that or even dry hop and lager it a while.

I recently did a Weisenpils which is a pilsy somewhat hoppy wheat beer. Used a lager yeast and a wheat yeast, both dry W34/70 and WB-06. Fermented at room temp, then lagered a couple months at maybe 45. Was super sulfery initially but now very interesting. The lager yeast one is better for its smoothness and even the color is lighter. The wheat yeast one has the banana clove type notes but hoppier than normal wheat beer and smoother too.

Anyway from my experience aging helps most beers as long as you keep them 45 ish. Gives the yeast time to clean things up. Use leaf hops and you can use a lot of them and they always taste good. I hate effing pellet hops but love it when my competitors do. Also bottle conditioning still rules the day particularly when aging finished beer. No comparison there.

Latest posts

Back