Lager Yeasts at Ale Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Blow Leprechaun

Reaction score
I've been considering doing this and was wondering if anyone had some experiences they were willing to share.

Mostly I'm curious what sort of character you get from lager yeast at room temperature - is it still fairly neutral, or does it go all fruity on you? Does it depend on the strain?

depends on the strain of yeast actually

S-23 can get fairly fruity for example, WLP810 can deal with getting warm and still stay pretty clean and neutral.

Yeah, it will vary greatly with the strain you use. You would still benefit from keeping it as cool as possible, since most strains get relatively fruity above 60F. If you can keep it below 60 it will still taste a lot more like a lager than using a clean ale yeast at the same temp.

try to match up your fermentation room temps. I used WLP840 American Lager for the BB Steam Beer kit. It worked out great. That yeast is intended for a 50-55f fermentation, and I had 59-64f air temps.

This is a good brew. Moreso Lagery than Aley.

Back