Lager yeast starter temps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mclamb6

Reaction score
In reading on this subject, it appears that propagating at 65-75 degrees for a lager yeast starter is ok. What about temps a bit above that? I live in Phoenix. Summer a/c bills being what they are, we get by with temps around 78-79 at night, but 81-84 during the weekdays when no one is home. Is that going to be an issue?

I use a stir plate and have a temp controlled fermentation chamber. Would I be better off using the fermentation chamber for making the starter?

No.

Room temp.

You're making yeast, not beer.

Be sure to cold crash, and beware this may take longer for a lager yeast depending on the strain, and decant the spent wort.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I should clarify one thing--when saying I could use my fermentation chamber, it was not my intention to grow the yeast at lager fermentation temps--just to bring the temp down into the low 70's (and keep it in that range throughout). Same advice?

No.

Room temp.

You're making yeast, not beer.

Be sure to cold crash, and beware this may take longer for a lager yeast depending on the strain, and decant the spent wort.

TD

Hmm. My room temp is usually 75°. I prefer cooler, but SWMBO sets the t-stat there. If I was in mid 80's I might consider using the ferm chamber set at room temps. Not going to hurt you.

TD

Latest posts

Back