Lager Noob questions. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labradork

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been brewing pretty steadily for better than a year and have done a dozen or so ales and ciders, but two weeks ago just started my first two lagers. I have a Shiner Bock clone and a doppelbock, both partial mash, in primary right now. Both have an inch or two of krausen evident and have been maintained at about 43 degrees F. I don't have a way to keep them much cooler. They are under my deck and I expect to be able to keep them around 40-45 degrees for the next few months.
So, here are the facts:

Shiner Clone : OG 1.058, Munich lager yeast (one smackpack pitched initially at 65 degrees, one dry pack added (46 degrees) at day 4 when no fermentation was evident). Krausen evident the next day. S.G. Taken on day 13 : 1.049. Target F.G. 1.016

Doppelbock : O.G. 1.09, two smackpacks of Bohemian Lager yeast pitched at 65 degrees, SG taken on day 13 : 1.029. Target F.G. 1.016

Questions: With the Shiner clone, should I warm it up or pitch more yeast to get fermentation moving or just let it chill at 43 degrees and be patient?

For the Doppelbock, should I do a diacetyl rest at some point? How about for the Shiner Clone after it gets a little further along?

Any guidance you can give will be very much appreciated.

Labradork

Start the D-rest on the Doppel now, you are just about at 85% of your expected attenuation.

For the Shiner, start the D-rest at 1.022 or there abouts. I would think about making a nice starter from liquid yeast for that Shiner, then pitch the starter at high krausen. This would help it along and also eliminate the need for a D-rest.

Latest posts

Back