Lager fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy64

Reaction score
I have a lager that has been fermenting at 52deg for 14 days the SG is 1.020. My expected FG is 1.018. The expected OG was 1.066, actual was 1.070 with a brew house efficiency of 76%. I used Saflager Yeast S-23.
I plan to rack to a keg and lager in my keezer at 39 deg. My main question is should I raise the temp of the beer before I move it and if so how high and for how long.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's definitely ready for lagering. I usually start lagering when I reach 80% of the way to FG. You can taste a sample for diacetyl (buttery flavor) and then go straight to lagering if there is none. If you detect it or if you just want to play it safe, you can raise the temp to 65F for 3 days and then go to keg and slowly drop the temp to your lagering temp. I usually drop 3-4F per day so I don't freak out the yeast.

Would there be a problem going strait to 39. I think my fermentation chaimber only goes down to mid to high 40s.

Would there be a problem going strait to 39. I think my fermentation chaimber only goes down to mid to high 40s.

IMHO, no. There is a longstanding debate as whether a lager should be slowly brought down from the diacytel (sp) rest, or if its ok to jus turn the temp down. Ive done it both ways and havnt noticed any difference. Some swear by the slow method, others swear by the quick method. Its a 30 deg drop either way. And mid 40's is fine. The cooler the better, with about 38 as a bottom temp. Its all about giving the lager yeast a long period of time to finish cleaning things up and the cold to crash the beer and clarify it.

"Sometimes Im right half of the time ...."

Back