Lager Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I brewed Revvy's Vienna Lager on 4/10 and today is the 20th and my beer is still fermenting. It has been @ 55F the entire 10 days. There is still a half inch or so of krausen with a healthy bubbling every minute or so. This is my first lager and I know it can go up to 10 days or so, but I thought the krausen would have subsided by now.

My plan is to leave it for another 20 days (according to revvy's recipe) and then lager at 33ish for another 30 days after a 3 day rest. I guess my main question is: When should the krausen start to drop? I only pitched one package of s-23 (I wasn't aware that I needed many more yeast cells at the time) so I thought the ferm. wouldn't be too strong.

Lagers tend to take alot longer to ferment to completion than ales- lower temps, slower yeast metabolism. But it's worth it! Give the yeast the time they need- they know best.

Since you underpitched, it took the yeast time to grow, which delayed fermentation, and with less yeast than necessary it will take time for all the sugars to ferment. Give it time, and it will be good. I would also wait until your fermentation is 2/3 done, bring up the temp 10+ degrees, and do a diacetyl rest until ferm is done. That will get out any off flavors.

Lagers are more work, but worth it.

Back