Lager - diacetyl rest in keg or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
I haven't done a ton of lagers so I'm still learning the ropes and playing around with things. For this pilsner I fermented at a steady 55F and it wound up hitting FG before I anticipated (huge yeast cake at the bottom so it looks like it just ripped thru it). Usually it's recommened you do the diacetyl rest at the end of the fermentation window, the last 48-72 hrs. But since I had hit my FG I just racked to my keg and purged with CO2. So what now? Should I let it sit at room temp for a couple days then start lagering or just start lagering immediately?

Give it a taste first, not all lager yeasts give off a lot of diacetyl, also depends on ferm conditions.

If it needs it, as long as there is still enough yeast in suspension, sure, give it a few days at [EDIT] 66-72F, resuspend it if you think a lot has already crashed.

Last edited:
Is diacetyl one of those things that you notice it right away. I've never had a beer that had that buttery slick taste or feel. Unless I just couldnt tell .

Does WLP Oktoberfest/ Marzen put out diacetyl?

Give it a taste first, not all lager yeasts give off a lot of diacetyl, also depends on ferm conditions.

Not in the slightest no. Tastes delicious, crisp and dry but with a bit of honey to it

If it needs it, as long as there is still enough yeast in suspension, sure, give it a few days at 70-74F, resuspend it if you think a lot has already crashed.

I left it out at room temp (67-68ish) this morning so I guess I'll leave it overnight, can't hurt anything...and then I'll start dropping the temp down tomorrow. I used Safale 3470 so maybe that's not prone to that?

Not in the slightest no. Tastes delicious, crisp and dry but with a bit of honey to it

I left it out at room temp (67-68ish) this morning so I guess I'll leave it overnight, can't hurt anything...and then I'll start dropping the temp down tomorrow. I used Safale 3470 so maybe that's not prone to that?
Well, if there was no detectable Diacetyl, what's the point of doing one? Although better safe than sorry is not a bad strategy. Some people are more sensitive to it too, detecting much lower levels.

It may take more than 24 hours for the content of the keg to get to room temps. Then it needs 2-3 days for the D-rest at mid to high 60s, before re-chilling it again. Once it's at room temps, give it a good shake, swirl, roll, or invert to make sure the yeast gets resuspended. They make the D-rest happen.

34/70 is low diacetyl/low sulphur by nature.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/lager-fermentation-with-w34-70.599645/
A little Diacetyl in a darker, fruitier beer (e.g., Oktoberfest) is easier to accept than in a Pilsner, IMO.

Back