Lacto starter to gose during boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medic218

Reaction score
I'm brewing a gose Friday and making a Lacto starter tonight.
Essentially sour worting, but on a much smaller scale.
At what point would you add the starter to the boil to A) kill the bugs and B) retain the sour that's already built up?
60min, 30min? I was thinking about 10min, but was wondering what the masses thought.
I was planning on using some DME and WLP677 for the starter.
Is there anything else I need to know or am missing about this process?
This is my first time making a starter, ever.

Ten minutes is fine. I wonder how much sour you'll get diluting the starter in the boil. Seems like it wouldn't be much unless that's a pretty big starter.

Well, it's a 2L starter so I guess we'll see.
I'll prob up my acid malt from 7% to 15%, too.

Also, "technically" I guess I am diluting the starter but the same amount of lacto in the 2L will still be present in the 5gal...just more spread out. Correct?

For this instance, since your looking to get sourness from acid. malt, I don't think you'll get much contribution from the 2L starter. With the combination of the starter and the acid. malt, you may get a mild tartness, which might be enough for what you're going for. However, there's certainly nothing wrong with making the sour wort starter for experience's sake, so you can see/smell what good sour is like. I think it will also be interesting to taste the sour wort next to the acid. malt wort before you mix them.

Are you limiting oxygen in the starter? Keeping temp at 100-110?

Re:boil, I don't think that it matters when you add the sour wort portion. I've done a 100% sour mash and boiled for 60min. I don't believe that the tang changes much as you boil.

Cheers!

Well, it's a 2L starter so I guess we'll see.

I'll prob up my acid malt from 7% to 15%, too.

Also, "technically" I guess I am diluting the starter but the same amount of lacto in the 2L will still be present in the 5gal...just more spread out. Correct?

No, you're boiling the lacto away based on your post. You'll just have 2L sour wort in 5 gal. The acid malt is all you'll notice in the finished product. I would recommend using the lacto on a larger volume of liquid or adding it after the boil and letting it do it's thing for a few days before adding yeast. Or just use your 15% acid malt. I made a great Gose with just acid malt to sour at about that rate. Very lightly tart and refreshing.

It was a double brew day so by the end I was pretty whooped.
All in all though I did ok.
76% on one, 78% on the other.

Lacto starter didn't have much of a funk to it. I also used 1.5# of acid malt so we'll see what happens.

Latest posts

Back