Lacto Starter Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coypoo

Reaction score
Making a lacto starter from wort and crushed grain. I was supposed to brew a kettle sour about 2 weeks ago, but life got in the way and it didn't happen. I'm making more starter wort tonight to feed it and it smells pretty bad. Also, can't tell if the top is just a pellicle or mold. Should I start over? Or keep on keeping on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1478315588.085163.jpg

I'm making more starter wort tonight to feed it and it smells pretty bad.

Smells bad in what way? does it smell like a dead animal? If so, dump it. Smells like sour milk or dried sour cream? Then its still good. Smells like dirty gym socks? Questionable, but most likely still viable.

Did you pre sour it with Lactic Acid? If not, dump it.

Hard to tell from a photo. Was there any kind of kraussen? If so, then you have a sacc yeast in there. Did you take a gravity reading at the start and now? If there is more than a drop of .002, then you have sacc yeast in there as well as lacto.

I would say it smelled like both sour milk and more of the dirty gym sock. I didn't pre-sour with lactic acid....I guess bc its questionable I'll dump and start new. This time I'll pre-sour with some LA. Thanks for the advice!

Back