Lactic from bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilan34

Reaction score
Just a question: how likely is it that I'm introducing lactic into my beers from my grain bag? I don't do anything more than rinsing it very thoroughly with hot water after each brew.

I've never seen any visual signs of infection in the carboy, but my Centennial Blonde has developed a sour taste at five weeks in the bottle. I've also had one batch that started off fine, but turned into gushers after 10 weeks.

Is it a good idea to soak the bag in PBW? Or is that unnecessary?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

If you're using it on the cold side for something like dry hopping, you'd want to sanitize it. If you're using it for steeping or BIAB then you're definitely introducing lacto because grain is covered in lacto. But it'll all get eliminated during the boil so it isn't anything to worry about.

Thank you, that's good to know. I'm going to take a look at my bottling procedures...

I wouldnt use the grain bag for anything other than mashing, if you need to filter then get another piece of voille for that and just throw it in the boilkettle to sterylize while you are boiling your wort.

Do you grind grain in the same room as you ferment in? Grinding grain produces alot of dust, that dust can contaminate your beer.

I wouldnt use the grain bag for anything other than mashing, if you need to filter then get another piece of voille for that and just throw it in the boilkettle to sterylize while you are boiling your wort.

Do you grind grain in the same room as you ferment in? Grinding grain produces alot of dust, that dust can contaminate your beer.

I only use the grain bag for mashing, so no worries there. I also don't have a grinder, I get that done at my LHBS.

It's possible that the sourness in my Centennial Blonde was isolated to one or two bottles - I had a couple last night that were just fine.

Latest posts

Back