Lacing is cool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I enjoy a beer that laces my glass from top to bottom as I drink. That said, is there anything in particular that lacing indicates as far as the quality or taste of the beer?

Lacing occurs from a protein molecule that naturally occurs in barley. Depending on your recipe, there may be more of this protein available, which would increase the level of lacing. The abundance of this protein increases the likelihood for lacing of beer head to occur on the side of your glass. There is no correlation between lacing and beer quality or taste, that I am aware of.

I suggest listening to this episode of The Sunday Session from The Brewing Network with Dr. Charles Bamforth where he discusses this topic in great depth.

I'm listening to Dr. Charles Bamforth's "Brewmaster's Art: The History and Science of Beer Making" on audio book during my long commutes. It's fascinating, and he's an excellent writer and speaker. I highly recommend it. One of the lectures is on head, foam and lacing.

I poured a Mich Ultra in a glass after a Omission IPA last night and the lacing had persisted. While not changing the flavor of the Michelob it definitely added to it's desirability.

I'm listening to Dr. Charles Bamforth's "Brewmaster's Art: The History and Science of Beer Making" on audio book during my long commutes. It's fascinating, and he's an excellent writer and speaker. I highly recommend it. One of the lectures is on head, foam and lacing.

He was on Beer Smith's podcast about a month ago. I think it was on flavor stability.

Latest posts

Back