Kroger SUSHI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Cheesy,

I'm in Louisville, too, and you are not the only one who likes 'supermarket sushi' (though not me, I mean other people). I'm not 100 percent certain (but I'll bet a hot brown) that all these supermarkets use a third party company for sushi. And yes the fish (or shrimp/crab) is frozen, thawed out as needed, then combined with freshly cooked rice (in a 3500 watt induction rice cooker, of course I checked) and veggies and sauce to make 'supermarket sushi'. Nothing wrong with this scenario, if you like it, I would just keep an eye out for a busy location. Busy means fresh.

And yes there are places in Louisville and other landlocked areas that receive fresh seafood shipments that end up in the nicer places like Sakura Blue and Maido. We are lucky here in that respect. Just because you are near a coast does not mean that a nearby fishery has in-season sushi species anyway. For example. I went to North Carolina last summer - I would eat raw mahi but would not want sushi (or sahimi) from flounder, bluefish, spots, croaker, etc.

I am also fairly certain the supermarket sushi gets thrown away ('shrunk' in retail terms) every morning from the day before, ensuring freshness. So enjoy with confidence, no matter where you live, as long as there is business to support the freshness.

Ummmmm.....yeah...

We have a Sushi place 1 mile from my house that I will put up against any place you guys have, but who has 90 minutes and $30 for lunch everyday? Not this guy.

And I will referain from replying full force to all the *****baggery contained in some of these responses.

The reason I posted this at all was because the sushi from a big chain grocery is so good and fresh. Otherwise, why would crappy sushi warrant a thread?

Stil insist that if you lived here you just wouldn't eat sushi cause you can't see the ocean? You don't really love sushi then, and I pity you.

Haha, Which ocean do you think I can see from the suburbs of Phoenix?

And you are loving some sushi I take it DFC?

:mug: Me too.

Nothing I am eating came out of the Ohio river either (not an ocean but a close large body of water.;))

The hilarity, Asian people making sushi in a chain store is a sign of quality? They'll all be great at Kung Fu too I suppose.

Stereotypes are good mmmmkay.

Here in South GA, we don't have Krogers.. we have Publix. They have a sushi bar and it is a mad scramble around dinner time to get anything worth a damn before it is picked over. It is a slightly different style sushi than found at a 'real' sushi bar, but it is damn good and the very reasonably priced.

We once asked them about it and it is another company that owns and operates the sushi bar on contract with Publix.. Kroger might be the same way. These guys are professionals and I'd dare say they crank out more per day than a 'real' sushi chef..

There are Krogers in South Georgia, just not in Valdosta. I know for sure there's one in Waycross. There used to be one in Brunswick but I think it's a Harveys now. But yeah, Publix is far more prevalent down there. I haven't had the sushi at either but it really chaps my hide when I go to Kroger for lunch and I can't find anyone to get me some fried chicken because the sushi guy is the only one back there and he just does the sushi.

The hilarity, Asian people making sushi in a chain store is a sign of quality? They'll all be great at Kung Fu too I suppose.

Stereotypes are good mmmmkay.

Yeahhhhh, I passed on making a comment but should have.

I bet the best sushi chef in the world is not "asian"

I love the eel sushi from the kroger at school. They even make it fresh for you if you request it.

If you want to get sushi in northern VA that means going in an area with a high concentration of asian drivers. Let me tell you how true THAT stereo type really is...

I eat sushi from the Harris Teeter grocery store chain around here all the time. They usually have some boxed up, but make it fresh to order if you ask them. I have no idea how it compares to expensive restaurant sushi, but it's delicious, relatively low-cal, and a great inexpensive dinner in between laps at the pool and class in the evening.

Plus, they give you chopsticks for skewering the rolls, which you can alternate with slabs of pickled ginger, slather with wasabi, and drizzle with soy sauce, and then munch on as you walk or drive. I'm not sure if that's authentic or not.

I'm pretty sure that in JAPAN (home of sushi) they have vending machines of sushi WITHIN SIGHT OF THE OCEAN......

;)

Yeahhhhh, I passed on making a comment but should have.

I bet the best sushi chef in the world is not "asian"

Oh I would think the best guys in the world are mostly Japanese, Anthony Bourdaine was in a small Sushi bar in one of his no reservations shows that only seated 4 people at the sushi bar with an old guy making fresh sushi and sashimi in front of him, that looked goooooood.
I'd imagine that guy ranks pretty highly in a very subjective field.

Exactly eoinmag, most probably, but not all. And not all japanese can make rice, let alone sushi.

It doesn't pay to stereotype was my point.

I'm pretty sure that in JAPAN (home of sushi) they have vending machines of sushi WITHIN SIGHT OF THE OCEAN......

;)

Yup right next to the schoolgirl soiled panties (i kid you not) machines.

sushi.jpg

(and I'm not going to make any comparison to the two products, despite the possibilites ;) )

so on Sunday I was near the Fry's rumored to have Sushi...

I walk in and ask about it and am told yeah its over there.

I roll up to the Sushi counter and they have their own island near the deli department with fridge coolers to keep the already made sushi cold. they are open from 9am-7pm 7 days a week and will make what ever you want fresh.

the menu says "Southern Tsunami" and is part of Advanced Fresh Concepts Corp. out of California www.afcsushi.com is a website on the menu.

I talked to one of the Sushi Chefs and he was asain and spoke broken engrish as did the other two gentleman working that evening. he had California rolls he had just made before he was heading home and had a little ice bath sampler tray available. I tried a roll or two it was very good.

most of the Sushi was with white rice, but there were some premade rolls with that brown rice another member mentioned. my son had his first California Roll that night and he LOVED it. I will most definitely be going over there JUST for the Sushi.

they even have a tables to sit at and couches in the store its very nice place. starbucks too.

-=Jason=-

I've had sushi from Kroger and Tom Thumb. I like the stuff from Tom Thumb better. I generally only get the stuff with the (imitation) crab and vegetables. I'm sure the stuff with actual fish is fine but I don't really know how long it has been sitting there or if somebody took one and left it somewhere warm in the store and then it got put back. I wouldn't be concerned if it was made fresh for me but the benefit of grabbing sushi at the store is getting it quickly.

I don't expect it to be world class. When I grab a sandwich from the deli I don't expect it to compare with a badass deli. I expect it to taste like a well made, but pre-made sandwich. Same for the sushi.

Good point RAM.

"OH!!!!! why do you get a burger at Bruger King??????? The $23 dollar burger at Rudy's steakhouse is sooo much better! I don't eat burgers unless I can see the frigging field the cow grew up in out the steakhouse window!!!!!!!!"

(Granted fish is a little touchier than beef)

;)

I DO get the tuna. They discard it at the end of every day, and I typically go 11ish when they are putting it out very fresh. I always smell it thoroughly.

Just as a point of interest, even the highest class of Sashimi tuna is frozen, they flash freeze them straight away after catching them in a very coordinated ringing excercise, it's a big money game. The best stuff is almost the same world wide when these fillets are defrosted. Only the very highest grade stuff would be fresh.

OP:

I'm all over the Kroger Sushi, they've outdone Publix.

:mug:

Seriously, the higher priced ones are damned near sushi bar quality.

THEY HAZ A CHILI ROLL..... but I wasn't gonna blow $9 on lunch.

Just as a point of interest, even the highest class of Sashimi tuna is frozen, they flash freeze them straight away after catching them in a very coordinated ringing excercise, it's a big money game. The best stuff is almost the same world wide when these fillets are defrosted. Only the very highest grade stuff would be fresh.

About what I figured, but good info, especially those looking at the ocean and enjoying fish caught god knows where.

That's generally true about the tuna being flash frozen, but not always. In North Carolina, on the Outer Banks, when tuna is in season, the fishermen bleed it while it's still alive on the boat (the heart must still be pumping or you won't get all the blood out) and then just put it on ice until it hits the dock. The stuff that gets exported will be flash frozen, but if you are on site, you can get it fresh, truly fresh, unfrozen, and you pay for it. I once had the opportunity to go tuna fishing off the coast of SC, and we sliced up some yellowfin tuna right on the spot, had some wasabi and saki but you didn't even need it. The tuna were running big that year, I caught the state record Blackfin that day, but another guy on another boat in the same area caught one 4 ounces bigger that same day. Mine would have been bigger but it sat on ice for 12 more hours than his did, they will usually lose about 5% of their weight sitting on ice, for whatever reason.

That's generally true about the tuna being flash frozen, but not always. In North Carolina, on the Outer Banks, when tuna is in season, the fishermen bleed it while it's still alive on the boat (the heart must still be pumping or you won't get all the blood out) and then just put it on ice until it hits the dock. The stuff that gets exported will be flash frozen, but if you are on site, you can get it fresh, truly fresh, unfrozen, and you pay for it. I once had the opportunity to go tuna fishing off the coast of SC, and we sliced up some yellowfin tuna right on the spot, had some wasabi and saki but you didn't even need it. The tuna were running big that year, I caught the state record Blackfin that day, but another guy on another boat in the same area caught one 4 ounces bigger that same day. Mine would have been bigger but it sat on ice for 12 more hours than his did, they will usually lose about 5% of their weight sitting on ice, for whatever reason.

That might be the coolest thing I have ever heard............;)

The tuna were running big that year, I caught the state record Blackfin that day, but another guy on another boat in the same area caught one 4 ounces bigger that same day. Mine would have been bigger but it sat on ice for 12 more hours than his did, they will usually lose about 5% of their weight sitting on ice, for whatever reason.

Very cool indeed.... though, we need pictures! :D

Blackfin, held by the gaff man.

blackfin_dukmon_gaff.jpg

Bloody yellowfin and blackfin. You can see where it was pierced in it's jugular behind the fin, and the blood just starts pouring out while the heart is still beating. It splatters everywhere.

crackercat_bloodyblackfin_1.jpg

crackercat_bloodyblackfin_2.jpg

crackercat_bloodyyellowfin_3.jpg

Nasty weather too.

wave_forcast_4_20.png

My wife works for Fred Meyer, which is one of Kroger's brands. Haven't tried their sushi, but even the small chains like Roth's make a quality product out here.

Sushi from a big-box grocery store? Are you guys serious?

I'm gonna barf...

I figure most people like the rolls with plenty of rice. When I think of sushi, I'm only thinking of fish. No rice. No "filling." But yeah I guess that's actually sashimi.

wow... this thread makes me feel like a lucky sumbitch! I would only use supermarket sushi as a make **** wound compress or to distract angry bears on a camping trip...

Haven't had Kroger's but Publix isn't bad either. I prefer going to a good sushi joint. But if I'm craving it and don't want to blow $100+ I'll admit to eating supermarket sushi. I think a lot of it depends store to store. I know at the Publix by me the sushi chef is a contractor, he's not a Publix employee and he brings his own fish. The sushi there is decent, but I've had sushi at other Publix stores that was inedible. I guess it falls on who's making/supplying it to the store. Don't know how Kroger handles it.

wow... this thread makes me feel like a lucky sumbitch! I would only use supermarket sushi as a make **** wound compress or to distract angry bears on a camping trip...

Can we now add "quality sushi" to the list of things that Staten Island can be proud about? :D

Can we now add "quality sushi" to the list of things that Staten Island can be proud about? :D

I'll take it, gotta be spoiled with something when are used to being ignored during blizzards, made fun of for a dump that's be closed for 10 years, and getting told you are not part of the city by some kid who just moved to Brooklyn from Iowa and instantly became cool. ;)

Back