Kraussen drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's about 65-67 degrees, wyeast 1056 smack pack, pitched 2 packets only about 1.5 packets got in though some leaked out when I pitched it.

you only need to pitch 1 packet.

also using a carboy as a primary is a pain in the ass!

looks good otherwise

Give it a little SWIRL SWIRL. There ain't no air in there so just SWIRL and see where your at. I do agree, although primary in a carboy is fun to watch. Total PITA!

Yeah 15 years I still use a bucket! I loves me the bucket!

That's like the nicest, creamiest looking primary in a carboy I have ever seen though!

Cheers
Jay

Just looking at the photo there it looks like your krausen has dropped long ago and your beer is starting to clear up. If it was still actively fermenting you'd see all kinds of nonsense swirling about in the beer, the suspended solids would also make the beer look opaque and lighter in color. Yours looks still and clear and dark.

I would say all the stuff on the carboy above the beer level is residue left over from the peak of fermentation. You should probably be able to see if there is still some krausen floating on top if you get under the beer level and look up.

Also fill you airlock! It looks dry from the picture! :cross:

I've gotten the same thing after my first batch in a 5 gallon carboy. There isn't enough headroom, so I had to rig up a blowoff hose. The krausen rose to fill the entire space of headroom and when it touches the top and sides, it sticks and the residue stays. You should be fine, it looks like it's just stuck to the top and sides of the carboy.

Why do you say that?

I can't answer for shortyz, but in my experience, carboys are harder to clean all of the krausen remains, as the neck of the carboy is so narrow. You need a special brush or something usually. Not saying it's too hard to do, it's just more work. A bucket is easy to clean because you can fit your whole arm into it.

Just looking at the photo there it looks like your krausen has dropped long ago and your beer is starting to clear up. If it was still actively fermenting you'd see all kinds of nonsense swirling about in the beer, the suspended solids would also make the beer look opaque and lighter in color. Yours looks still and clear and dark.

I would say all the stuff on the carboy above the beer level is residue left over from the peak of fermentation. You should probably be able to see if there is still some krausen floating on top if you get under the beer level and look up.

Also fill you airlock! It looks dry from the picture! :cross:

I actually took an airlock, attached a hose and have a blow off setup. Plan to throw an actual airlock on there once I secondary. Thanks for your help, I think you are right about the residue

My APA carboy looked exactly like that... stuck yeast/krausen is all. If you look down the mouth, you would be able to see the surface of the beer, I'm betting.

240225d1417894084-cooper-canadian-blonde-hopped-up-11-27-1206041300.jpg

All that beige crap was completely stuck on (green is hop pellet foam). Was a ***** to clean, even after a 24 hr oxy soak.

You can see where the hop foam cleaned up that one section after cold crashing, looked goofy.

241247d1418344439-cooper-canadian-blonde-hopped-up-11-27-1211041803.jpg

Have fun cleaning! I know I did.

My APA carboy looked exactly like that... stuck yeast/krausen is all. If you look down the mouth, you would be able to see the surface of the beer, I'm betting.

240225d1417894084-cooper-canadian-blonde-hopped-up-11-27-1206041300.jpg

All that beige crap was completely stuck on (green is hop pellet foam). Was a ***** to clean, even after a 24 hr oxy soak.

You can see where the hop foam cleaned up that one section after cold crashing, looked goofy.

241247d1418344439-cooper-canadian-blonde-hopped-up-11-27-1211041803.jpg

Have fun cleaning! I know I did.

I love your airlock!

Cheers
Jay

Back