Krausen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostHopper

Reaction score
I've been brewing a number of years and recently abandoned the glass carboys for just some plastic brew buckets.
I know the lids can leak but they seem to work well for me..

Thursday afternoon I brew a session rye pale ale (OG 1047). LHBS has been very busy and yeast inventory was down so I used dry US 05. Pitched at about 68 degrees and kept it 64-68 for the first few day. Zero activity from blow off tube. I assume it's a leaky lid but after day 4 I decide to peek in the bucket. Very thin krausen ring with some krausen islands floating.. I take a gravity sample, 1010. Could the yeast work that fast with minimal krausen. I assumed if things were moving along the krausen would be high.

The krausen is what it is. One could argue that judging fermentation progress by the amount of krausen present is about as useful as timing the interval between bubbles in the airlock.

Your yeast took out 37 gravity points in 4 days without producing much krausen. Congratulations. You’re gonna have beer.

Thanks
I guess all the batches in glass carboys and worrying about head space for a thick krausen made me think it always happens.

Back