krausen not dropping after ten days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a batch of mount mellimick hopped extract with 2 pounds on DME in the fermenter.

It's been ten days and the ring of krausen still looks fresh and is not dropping. Should I let it wait l longer or hydro test and rack to secondary?

Using. Safale 05

Funny after 7 days the same is happening for me. First time it has happened with US-05.

What's your airlock doing? When my beer had a huge krausen and almost no activity, i swirled and sloshed the carboy to knock it down. (didn't take the lock off) It fizzed like crazy from all the CO2 in solution and the krausen collapsed. The next morning, the lock was bubbling actively again, and there was a fresh much smaller krausen, and a lot thicker layer of sediment in the bottom. That krausen dropped a couple of days later.

I think most of the yeast was trapped up on top.

I think I'm going to do a hydro test and if it's close to finishing I'll rack it to secondary.

The hydro was 1.012 I'm just going to let it sit a few more days before I put it in secondary. Because I'm going to dry hop it with cascade

I'm right there with you @frankjones but I haven't bothered with the sample yet. I am going to let it warm up ever so slightly and see if that helps matters. I'll also try that swirl deal. I want to dry hop this and intended to do so today. I can wait, but I was eager to get it all done. It is my first SMaSH and I'm pretty excited to try it.

Sorry to jack your thread though, I found it through searching and was curious myself.

Oh no worries on the hi jack. I gave it a slosh, and raising the temp to 70. For a few days. Then rack and dry hop. I want to recycle the yeast.

Latest posts

Back