Krausen Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggliato

Reaction score
Hello there,

I boiled some malt extract yesterday, It was an extra light extract. I think I might have kept the temp a bit higher than what is normal, the hot break never really went away, is the hot break a protein precipitation or something else?

Anyway there was some definite carmelization which is allright since I enjoy caramel.

I poured the wort over some cold water and then pitched my yeast (high 70's), the second picture is about a day later, it looks the Krausen rose and fell while I was sleeping. But it also looks like the Krausen only rose about 1/4 of an inch. I've seen pictures of really high Krausens and am wondering why they occur.

Even though there is not much of a Krausen left my beer is bubbling quite a bit, and has an overpowering smell when I get close to the surface.

This is an open fermentation and I suppose I am wondering what to do next with this batch. should I wait another day or two or perhaps place in a carboy with an airlock?

100_8888.JPG

100_8893.JPG

Latest posts

Back