Krausen in bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Do you think this is krausen? I normally keg, first time I've seen this in bottles. Maybe fermentation in the bottle left behind some krausen, could be infection or yeast sediment. Beer has been bottled for 2 weeks now, almost every bottle has this sediment in the neck of the bottle. What do you think? Anybody ever see a "mini fermentation" in the bottle due to priming sugar? This is the best pic I could get.

IMG_1500.jpg

To expand, one time about 3 years ago I did have what looked like krausen in some bombers, turned out to be an extreme gusher infection from cacao nibs I didn't sanitize. Learned my lesson there

Infection dump it. ;)

Maybe it's a bad picture but it just looks like bubbles to me?

It's not bubbles. I tasted one a couple weeks ago and tasted green despite its almost 2 months old from brew day.

To expand, one time about 3 years ago I did have what looked like krausen in some bombers, turned out to be an extreme gusher infection from cacao nibs I didn't sanitize. Learned my lesson there

I opened one a couple days ago and it didn't gush. This is a clone recipe of Oaked Arrogant Bastard. I boiled the oak chips before adding to secondary. I hope it's not a infection. It looked normal in the fermenter. When I tip the bottle it kinda sticks to the side. I want to say it's yeast, but like I said...I normally keg.

Yeah I treat all my additions too now.

This can honestly go both ways, I've seen bottles with stuff in the neck that were severely infected (mine included) and I've also seen them be fine.

Only you know how it tastes, if you suspect infection maybe try and drink it fast

I haven't seen that before in any of my bottles,but then I never really looked either. How much priming sugar did you add? Does look kind of like bubbles or a yeast raft, but I would keep an eye on them just in case.

There shouldn't be anything at the water line of your bottle neck. I would say that's a bad sign. I've had some infections like that when I was starting out. It's a bummer but my beers where still drinkable.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I get that with my bottled hefeweizens with weihenstephaner yeast. I wouldn't be surprised if other low floc yeasts do that as well. What did you use?

I haven't seen that before in any of my bottles,but then I never really looked either. How much priming sugar did you add? Does look kind of like bubbles or a yeast raft, but I would keep an eye on them just in case.

I used about 4.5oz of corn sugar for just under 5 gal of beer.

There shouldn't be anything at the water line of your bottle neck. I would say that's a bad sign. I've had some infections like that when I was starting out. It's a bummer but my beers where still drinkable.

You've never seen yeast floating in bottles? My bottles were clean and I sanitized with starsan. Also not all the bottles have this. I put another beer in the fridge to try tonight and see how it tastes.

I get that with my bottled hefeweizens with weihenstephaner yeast. I wouldn't be surprised if other low floc yeasts do that as well. What did you use?

This is what I wanted to hear. I'm not in denial or anything, I just wanted to consider other possibilities since I have never had an infection. The yeast I used was a 1.5L starter of Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

I used about 4.5oz of corn sugar for just under 5 gal of beer.

You've never seen yeast floating in bottles? My bottles were clean and I sanitized with starsan. Also not all the bottles have this. I put another beer in the fridge to try tonight and see how it tastes.

This is what I wanted to hear. I'm not in denial or anything, I just wanted to consider other possibilities since I have never had an infection. The yeast I used was a 1.5L starter of Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

Nope. Never seen yeast floating in bottle.

I don't think 1056 would do that though. How long did it ferment before bottling? Your comment about it still tasting green makes me wonder if you bottled too early. The times it happened to me I'm pretty sure it was due to a combination of process and the yeast strain. The Weihenstephen likes to hang out up top and is a top cropper. That combined with me bottling 3 days after it reached FG meant there were way more yeast in the bottles than a typical batch. Just keep opening one up occasionally to make sure there are no gushers or potential bottle bombs.

The other possibility is that it's a pellicle. I've also had those in bottles. But those resulted in gushers and some funky beer.

I don't think 1056 would do that though. How long did it ferment before bottling? Your comment about it still tasting green makes me wonder if you bottled too early. The times it happened to me I'm pretty sure it was due to a combination of process and the yeast strain. The Weihenstephen likes to hang out up top and is a top cropper. That combined with me bottling 3 days after it reached FG meant there were way more yeast in the bottles than a typical batch. Just keep opening one up occasionally to make sure there are no gushers or potential bottle bombs.

The other possibility is that it's a pellicle. I've also had those in bottles. But those resulted in gushers and some funky beer.

I bottled after 5 weeks. I fermented for a month, transferred to secondary with oak chips for a week then bottled.

All ale yeast strains are top fermenters.

Top croppers are low flocculating ale yeast that like to hang out on top of the beer after fermentation is done. Hefe yeast and some Belgian strains are good examples of this. Not to be confused with top fermenting.

Ok I opened a bottle that had been in the fridge for 24 hours, did not gush or foam up at all. My neighbor was the guinea pig. After seeing the look on his face I gave it a try. The beer taste like straight up whiskey! This has never happened to me in the 2 years I've been brewing. Any ideas?

I've seen this too, but have no idea what it was. They were good, never changed, and didn't taste off in any way.

I like whiskey myself, and usually chill it in the fridge, but am good with it at room temp too. Sometimes neat and sometimes with water. Rye whiskey I'm quite fond of!

Back