Konig Ludwig Yeast Harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzamora3

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a sixer of Konin Ludwig weissbier and I love the taste of this beer. The banana and vanilla yeast profile are delicious.

Was wondering if you guys knew if they use the fermenting yeast in the bottle? I know some breweries will use a different yeast in the bottle when producing tjoer beers.

Was hoping to be able to harvest the yeast from my last three bottles.

Thanks in advance!!

20170702_190030.jpg

According to this thread, you can
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=222526

A lot of others say that most German breweries filter, then use lager yeast in the bottle though - maybe taste your starter to check that it tastes like a hefe, not a lager! I'm very keen to try this, as I really like this hefe. Let us know how it turns out if you go ahead with it.

According to this thread, you can
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=222526

A lot of others say that most German breweries filter, then use lager yeast in the bottle though - maybe taste your starter to check that it tastes like a hefe, not a lager! I'm very keen to try this, as I really like this hefe. Let us know how it turns out if you go ahead with it.

So I tried it. Used a .25L started at 1.030 on stir plate for 3 days then in fridge for another couple days. It grew and tasted like a hefe BUT It had a horrible smell to it. I know that yeast isn't the most pleasant smell, but when I tasted and smelt the sample, it almost smelled like rotten milk. Not horrible but definitely distinct. Think this yeast is good to go?

Hefe yeasts produce lots of sulfur, which can be quite unpleasant (actually, quite rank), but I'd still be reluctant to pitch that into my beer! Personally, I'd pitch that into a bigger starter and see how that one goes. If it cleans up after a few days (gets rid of the smell and tastes good) then I think you'd be good to go.

I just made a gallon batch (55% wheat 45% pilsner with a small addition of hallertau) to see if the yeast I harvested from a bottle of Konig Ludwig Weisbier was Hefeweizen or lager yeast. Upon bottling the aroma and flavor made it very clear that the yeast strain I revived is definitely a Hefeweizen yeast and not lager. I did not get the sulphur smell from the fermented wort, but I had let it go a full three weeks without touching it.

I had some König Ludwig Weißbier a few months ago (on tap), and it tasted a lot like the batches I'd brewed using WLP300/WY3068/W68. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same yeast.

Back