Kombuffee (Coffee Kombucha)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AF1HomeBrew

Reaction score
I just finished making my first successful batch of Kombufee. The first batch had mold show up, which was due to fermenting it too cold (mid-to-upper 60's), so this batch I had a carboy heater and InkBird digital TC308 set at 78. I roasted up some beans from a recent Burman Coffee shipment: a mix of Sumatra,Jamaican Blue Mountain Flamstead, Burmundi Bourbon Nkandi Procasta, and Nicaraguan Honey beans that I roasted 2-3 days before in my Gene Café Roater. Using 1/3 of a cup of beans I milled and steeped them in 1 qt of just boiled water for about 12 minutes. Added a cup of sugar and dissolved then added to 3 qt of cold water in the fermenter, then added the Scoby and 1 cup of starter; basic recipe from The Big Book of Kombucha. This has a nice smooth coffee flavor, slight sweetness and a little cider flavor to it.

Kombuffee.jpg

Kombuffee_gal.jpg

KombuffeeScoby.jpg

Kombuffee_bottled.jpg

Looks good! I had mold on my first batch also. It was in the house which is in the low 60s. I just did a new batch in my fermentation chamber this weekend and am keeping it at 70°. Reading this makes me want to up the temp.

I should add that after the water came to a boil I turned off the hot plate, added the milled coffee beans to a FORLIFE Capsule Infuser
like the one below and put in the hot water for 12 minutes. I found it on Amazon and use it for both loose leaf tea and coffee.

81SqD5ZXF1L._SX522_.jpg

Back