kolsch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HadesX

Reaction score
I am planning on doing the NB Kolsch kit within the next couple weeks as a trial run for a new personal summer seasonal. Last year i did a lemon wheat which was pretty disappointing. Drinkable, but disappointing.

I have a few questions regarding cold conditioning of this style.

First, there is nothing in the instructions stating this recipe must be cold conditioned, i just read several threads on it and i am capable of fitting my secondary into a fridge.

1. If i primary for say, a week and a half, then siphon to the secondary. Should it immediately go into the fridge? Also, won't that stop the yeast from working on the beer?

2. I keg, so would it be ok if i put in the primary for the week and a half. Secondary for 2 weeks at room temp, transfer to the keg and cold condition while i have it carbing?

I'm just a little confused why you would cold condition a brew when the yeast will do nothing for you. I've cold crashed before by sticking my secondary in the fridge for 2 or 3 days before transferring to the keg to help clarify it but i'm not understanding this.

Anyway, this is my first post, been browsing for a quite a while and seems like a cool forum. Thanks in advance. :mug:

Most of us skip the secondary and just leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks.

Cold conditioning for the kolsch is to help with clarity.

What I do is primary for 3 weeks. Keg and cold condition for 3 weeks. Serve and enjoy.

My last batch was a kolsch. It was the best batch I have done to date. Primary for a week. Secondary at room temperature for two weeks. Kegged and into the fridge for 6 weeks. I cracked the CO2 everyday just to keep pressure. 4 weeks in I turned on the gas at 12 psi for two weeks.

Back